Syncing Pocketpedia

Talk to other Pedia users about the programs, share tricks and tips or ask questions about existing features.
sitenoise
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Syncing Pocketpedia

Post by sitenoise »

I'm just tossing this out there for data points:

My toys:
MacBook Pro [Firewall ON, set to allow only specific apps, DVDPedia=allow]
iPhone 3G
2Wire wireless modem/router (The protagonist in our story) [Firewall ON, deny all unsolicited traffic to iPhone, allow only specified apps to MacBook (NO entry for the Pedias)]

When I first got the iPhone it sync'd my collection once and then failed every time after that. I tried adding ports to the Firewall, turning the Firewall off, everything I found mentioned in these forums and nothing worked.

Turns out, my iPhone was having problems maintaining a Wi-Fi signal. Surfing the web would work for a couple minutes and then I'd have to turn Wi-Fi off then on, and then I could get a couple more minutes of Wi-Fi activity, rinse and repeat.

iPhone worked fine at all other Wi-Fi locations I tested it at so I blamed my router. It was old, but I didn't think things like DHCP services or Firewalls were things that got old and tired, forgetful, etc. Nonetheless, I had my ISP send me a new router, a newer version of the 2Wire I had, and now Pocketpedia syncs fine every time. I still have Firewalls ON and clamped down with NO entries for Pocketpedia and it just works. (And I can surf the web with my iPhone until the battery runs out)

So ... no solutions or conclusions here, except to say that from my experience Mac OS X has certain desires when it comes to negotiating services from other devices, and sometimes those devices don't negotiate as quickly or in the specific way that Mac OS X wants them to.

... and that the iPhone is damn cool. And Pocketpedia rocks. (Sure, I kinda want to be able to make changes on the iPhone and have them sync back to my MBP, and be able to walk into a DVD shop and point the iPhone at barcodes, and ... but it's only 2008, Pocketpedia is free and less than a year old. I'm a happy camper.)