What is Selected when switching collection views? [DVDPedia]

Talk to other Pedia users about the programs, share tricks and tips or ask questions about existing features.
sitenoise
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

What is Selected when switching collection views? [DVDPedia]

Post by sitenoise »

Seems the 4.4 update has brought in a new logic that controls what title is selected when switching from one collection to another?

It's definitely not the last one selected and it no longer vaults to the top of the list.

What's going on now?
Conor
Top Dog

Re: What is Selected when switching collection views? [DVDPedia]

Post by Conor »

We haven't changed the behavior since 4.3.2 on the selection. It should keep the selection if the same movie is present in both collections. Otherwise you are right that it should not select anything or select the top entry. Investigating this issue I have already added the fact that it should at least show the current row selected in the table view, when switching collection. You can download the beta for that small fix, while I explore more in the next few days.
sitenoise
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by sitenoise »

I'll grab the beta.

It's weird but something is definitely changed. DVDpedia has made up its mind that it always wants to go to the movie "Breakdown" when I go to my Library. I hate to trash my Prefs file, but are there other ways of 'resetting' something that I could try? I've made sure that I'm sorting by name ... which brings me to another perhaps related story. I have a special collection, films watched in the last ninety days, sorted by "last seen" reverse (so the last seen is the first), viewed in Cover View (Info View is always open). Before this version it would always land somewhere down the line, I never checked where (figured it was an alphabetical trump), just scrolled to the top. Now, with 4.4, it lands at the top. So that's cool.

[UPDATE] I think there might be something with Cover View viewing. If I go from an excluded, non-special, collection to my included, special "90 Day" collection, it goes to the "top" in Cover View, but some random title is actually selected. (I actually prefer this over having to scroll there) Whereas, if I'm in Table View, it (the new Beta, that is) actually selects the row of the randomly selected title.

BTW, now the random title DVDP always goes to in the Library is different. (It's an embarrassing title I'd rather not name) :wink:

I'll bang on this some more and see if I can discern any patterns.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Version 4.4.1 should now not select anything if it can't find the same entry that was previously selected in the previous collection and should also stay at the top of the table. When the selection exists it should scroll and display the selection, on all three of the views.
sitenoise
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by sitenoise »

Hmmm ...

On a personal note, I'd prefer it select the first entry in a collection, according to sort (when it can't find the same entry that was previously selected in the previous collection), for a couple reasons:

1) I usually want to be there anyway and 2) I don't like the way 'nothing selected' looks like. It's all empty white and feels like something is missing.

But beyond that, dvdP isn't landing at the top of the table. There's nothing selected AND I have to scroll up.

[UPDATE] When going from an inclusive special collection (or just the Library) to a non-inclusive non special collection it is selecting a title that is not at the top. And it seems determined (like selecting "Breakdown") to select the same one every time.

I hope this doesn't become a white whale, just offering feedback. :wink:
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

I agree with that the first movie should be selected. It's in the beta. However I can't get it to repeat selecting a random title, even from an inclusive to exclusive collection. If you are still getting that behavior with the beta let me know.
sitenoise
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by sitenoise »

It is not scrolling to the top of the table in Table View, although the first title *is* selected when going to my Library from a non/non.
It *does* land at the top if Cover View is chosen.

Beyond that it's chaos and inconsistent. Sometimes. Which, by definition I guess, means all the time. But I can live with it. It's not like I have to get off the couch in order to get to where I want to be.

Re: "I can't get it to repeat selecting a random title, even from an inclusive to exclusive collection." To clarify: I have a non/non collection of about a dozen titles (sort of a pre-wish list) in Cover View. If I go to it from my Library, the last title is ('randomly') selected. And it will continue with this choice consistently. If I quit dvdP and repeat the test, a different title might get selected in my non/non. Sometimes, sometimes not. It's hard to determine how long the allure of given title will last. If I keep my non/non to Table View the first title is selected when I go there. So ... that's weird.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Thank you, you have discovered the bug. I was always going from cover view to cover view or table view to table view. It had to be table view to cover view. As always you can try out the beta.
sitenoise
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by sitenoise »

All is well now. Thanks!
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Thank you for all the help.