How does the built in browser work?

Talk to other Pedia users about the programs, share tricks and tips or ask questions about existing features.
JoeyBoots

How does the built in browser work?

Post by JoeyBoots »

Read on, my question is a bit more complex than the title suggests.

You see, I wish to use some of the newer html features out there, like client side databases and such.
Basically, I want to create a small HTML page for each game that I have. I would store these files locally and link them through Gamepedia.
I want to be able to check off form boxes on these pages and save them as a way of tracking progress in these games.

Now there are settings in Safari for where to store local database files and such, but this is where my question comes in. How does the browser in the pedias work. Is it just the same webkit that Safari uses, and thus the same settings, or is it a completely separate browser built right into the pedias.
Conor
Top Dog

Re: How does the built in browser work?

Post by Conor »

That sounds like a really neat idea that should work. The Gamepedia browser is a called to the built in Web Kit that comes with your computer and gets upgraded by Safari on updates. So anything that you can do in Safari you should be able to do in Gamepedia. I haven't tested client side databases but I can vouch for cookies and all other settings being the same. If you build it please send me a version as I love to see how users use the programs and how they extend them.
thajeztah
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by thajeztah »

As I have both Webkit and Safari on my computer, is it possible to switch what engine is used (i.e. use Webkit nightly in stead of Safari?)
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

It picks up the latest version, all this is handled by Mac OS X. There is no way to tell it what specific version you would like.
JoeyBoots

Post by JoeyBoots »

Hey all, thanks for the responses. I've played around a bit with client side databases since reading your reply, Conor.

I'm sad to say that things did not work as I had intended.

I have a very cursory knowledge of HTML that does not come close to form and database type stuff, so I used the sample page from the webkit nightly page as a test.

http://webkit.org/demos/sticky-notes/index.html

Basically, I downloaded the source as an HTML file, saved it to a folder where I keep other files that I link to in Gamepedia and linked it as a file through the links tab on one of my games.

So, that being said, with the preference set to "Open links in external browser" the page works as expected. You can write notes and the next time you open the page the same note is still there.

However, opening this with the option unchecked, using the embedded browser, the database stuff doesn't work.

By the way, I don't have any version of webkit nightlies installed, just safari 4.0.2.

Maybe I should make this a feature request. :D
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Thank you for the link. I will install the sample and find out if it's something that can be enabled.