PocketPedia on Italian Store

Talk to other Pedia users about the programs, share tricks and tips or ask questions about existing features.
Rigido
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

PocketPedia on Italian Store

Post by Rigido »

Ciao Conor and Nora,
long time I didn't write in this forum but...I changed my phone and got an iPhone 3Gs!
I remembered that it was possible to sync *pedias with iPod, then I read from the Help that I need to get PocketPedia to sync the Iphone.
The problem is that it looks like that PP is not available from the Italian AppStore, as I'm not going to jailbreak my iPhone, how can I buy/install PocketPedia?!
If you need any help to translate it to Italian...let me know it! ;)

Ciao!
Micky0711
Inductee
Inductee

Re: PocketPedia on Italian Store

Post by Micky0711 »

I've the same problems in the german App Store. I can't find the pocketpedia app. Please Help
sjk
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by sjk »

Pocketpedia has been removed from Apple's App Store.

Announcement: Bruji News » Blog Archive » Bye bye Pocketpedia
Discussion: Bruji • View topic - Amazon Killing Mobile Apps That Use Its Data
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

Yes, unfortunately Pocketpedia is no more although we're hoping to resurrect the program in some form or other in the future. But for now you can return to using the iPhone export templates found under the HTML export option in the Pedias. Export your data, upload it to a server and you'll be able to access your database via Safari on the iPhone/iPod touch. Not an ideal solution, I know, but maybe a work-around at least for some.
kbarnes70
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by kbarnes70 »

Nora wrote:Yes, unfortunately Pocketpedia is no more although we're hoping to resurrect the program in some form or other in the future. But for now you can return to using the iPhone export templates found under the HTML export option in the Pedias. Export your data, upload it to a server and you'll be able to access your database via Safari on the iPhone/iPod touch. Not an ideal solution, I know, but maybe a work-around at least for some.
Hi Nora,

I saw this thread a while back and felt it was very disappointing that Amazon are taking what is a ridiculous attitude IMO. But it's reared up and hit me hard now because I have traded my original iPhone for a new 3GS and, of course, my Pocketpedia has disappeared.

Personally, I don't really care about the Amazon information that was being transferred to my iPhone - what I want is my DVD collection 'to go'. If I could in some way have the 'essentials' so that I can refer to it when I am not at home that would be fine. Is there any way that it might be possible to produce a version of Pocketpedia that copied across just the essentials to the iPhone and not the Amazon-derived data? I'm sure you will have considered this so there must be a good reason why you haven't done it but I'd be interested to know if such a version might ever be in the pipeline.

Pocketpedia was a terrific piece of work and it is a great shame that Amazon are using their 'might is right' approach to kill it off - especially as it is a catalog product and not a search product. I have contacted Amazon and told them that until they reverse their decision I will not be buying DVDs from them any more. I am surprised that you have not retaliated by removing the icon that takes DVDpedia users directly to the relevant page on the Amazon website, which surely must have encouraged sales for Amazon. Having said that, I am also pleased that you haven't descended to Amazon's level of pettiness.

Thanks for listening.

Kind regards from England.

Keith
thajeztah
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by thajeztah »

For now, I think your only option is to publish your collection to a website. The Pedia's have some html-export templates that are specifically designed for the iPod/iPhone, but unfortunately require you to view them online via the internet.

If you have a MobileMe account, publishing is very easy;
  • Open your desktop 'Pedia application
  • Sort your collection to your liking (e.g. first sort by title, then by author to have your export organized by author)
  • Go to file->export (or cmd+s)
  • First pick an iPhone-template in the 'html' tab
  • Change the settings (grouped by 'word' ('author' in this example as you've sorted the list by author in step 2) or grouped by 'letter')
  • Go to the 'MobileMe' tab and give your export a name (e.g. 'Books', 'Music' or 'DVDs')
  • Click on preview to check your 'website' before uploading. The Pedia application will export all files (might take some time) and show a preview in your webbrowser. (Note: the website is now on your computer, it has not been published to the internet yet, so you won't be able to view it on your iPhone)
  • If the website looks okay, return to the Pedia application and click 'upload'. The website will be uploaded to the MobileMe server and will be ready to view on your iPhone
If you keep a Wishlist in your Pedias, you'll need to create a separate export for that. The export-function will only export a single collection. Be sure to give each export
a unique name (e.g. 'Books', 'Books-wishlist') to prevent overwriting the previous export.

Although it's not as easy as a 'real' application (internet connection is required, so it's not very useful for people with an iPod Touch), it fills the gap for the time being. Also it has one advantage over PocketPedia; because the export is a website, you can send other people links to your website to show them your collections and wishlists.

Bruji is currently looking into a version of PocketPedia that does -not- sync Amazon data (I'm hoping it -will- sync at least the title and author of items that contain data from Amazon, otherwise it won't be very useful). I'm still hoping Amazon will review their policy and allow PocketPedia to return in the future.

Oh, almost forgot to mention. Eric (jicho on this forum) created a dynamic php-website that allow you to create a searchable website containing your 'Pedia database. It is specially designed to view on a iPhone, but requires a webserver that supports PHP. I don't know if MobileMe currently supports this, but if you have a provider that supports websites with PHP, it is great. Read this post for more information: http://www.bruji.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... =90#p13036

Good luck!

Sebastiaan
sjk
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by sjk »

thajeztah wrote:Although it's not as easy as a 'real' application (internet connection is required, so it's not very useful for people with an iPod Touch), it fills the gap for the time being.
I've been quite satisfied using Air Sharing for offline content storage/viewing on my iPod touch. I've never tried it for browsing exported 'pedia collections (yet) though I can't think of any reason it wouldn't work except for external content references.
thajeztah
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by thajeztah »

sjk wrote:I've been quite satisfied using Air Sharing for offline content storage/viewing on my iPod touch.
Well, I -was- thinking of trying that too, but didn't want to mention it without testing it first.

Has someone tried to browse an uploaded a website to an iPod/iPhone using Air Sharing?
vrrroom
Inductee
Inductee

Post by vrrroom »

i agree with kbarnes70 about amazon. I don't use the software for my dvd collection so I don't need Amazon for dvd release specific info. They're still in a box in my basement :-P

I use it to keep track of what I've seen and even more so what I want to see. My to watch list has about 1500 items now and I find the Amazon ASIN / info very bad for my taste of movies (mostly international). I won't even get started about the artwork..

I really could use Pocketpedia so well! Friends always come to me for movies so this is really bad. But my point is that u should ditch Amazon (at least for the iphone app) and find another solution. I'm sure it will work!

I don't want to jailbreak so I'll check out the other options seen here, thanx!
kbarnes70
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by kbarnes70 »

vrrroom wrote:i agree with kbarnes70 about amazon. I don't use the software for my dvd collection so I don't need Amazon for dvd release specific info. They're still in a box in my basement :-P

I use it to keep track of what I've seen and even more so what I want to see. My to watch list has about 1500 items now and I find the Amazon ASIN / info very bad for my taste of movies (mostly international). I won't even get started about the artwork..

I really could use Pocketpedia so well! Friends always come to me for movies so this is really bad. But my point is that u should ditch Amazon (at least for the iphone app) and find another solution. I'm sure it will work!

I don't want to jailbreak so I'll check out the other options seen here, thanx!
I agree with you. I do use DVDpedia for my DVD collection and it is useful to have the Amazon information available on the desktop machine - but I could easily live without that on Pocketpedia. My main use for Pocketpedia is so that I can access my collection when out and about. The Amazon customer reviews are handy to have on the Pocketpedia version but they aren't essential. And, as a point of order, unless Amazon are getting their customers to assign copyright, those reviews belong to the people who wrote them, not to Amazon. That is not to say that Amazon are forced to let you access their system to read them of course. The really crazy thing is that Amazon's decision makes no sense - I frequently used to use Pocketpedia to put items into my wishlist, using Amazon's info to do so, and then would often go on to buy the DVDs from Amazon. That doesn't happen now obviously and I tend to buy from other sources.

One final point - if you were fortunate enough to have Pocketpedia on your iPhone before Amazon made their baffling decision, it does of course still work! It will sync with the desktop database etc and the only functionality lacking is that which used to use the Amazon interface - reviews and so on. I didn't realise that my Pocketpedia would still work until I tried it - I'd assumed, wrongly, that somehow it would no longer work. Doesn't make sense I know but that was my assumption. So anyone who has an older Pocketpedia on their iPhone already, you're good to go. And it will survive an update to a new iPhone too - I just bought a 3GS iPhone and iTunes transferred all my old programs to the new iPhone, including Pocketpedia.

Kind regards.

Keith
Jexter
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jexter »

Yes I agree with the above posters. Please relase PockedPedia again, just leave the Amazon lookup function out of it. I would use the pocked pedia to browse my wish lists while I am in the library (maybe in another town), or to quickly check if I have a certain edition of a book. Actually, most if not all of my pocket pedia use would care less about Amazon lookups ;-)

Ressurect the Pocket, I say!
jicho
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by jicho »

Jexter wrote:Yes I agree with the above posters. Please relase PockedPedia again, just leave the Amazon lookup function out of it. I would use the pocked pedia to browse my wish lists while I am in the library (maybe in another town), or to quickly check if I have a certain edition of a book. Actually, most if not all of my pocket pedia use would care less about Amazon lookups ;-)
Even without the Amazon lookups in PocketPedia Amazon you're not allowed to use PocketPedia, Amazone doens't let you sync data collected from their website to PDA's / iPhones / etc...

Have a look at this topic: http://bruji.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3277
sjk
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by sjk »

Jexter wrote:I would use the pocked pedia to browse my wish lists while I am in the library (maybe in another town), or to quickly check if I have a certain edition of a book.
Similarly, Pocketpedia is my mobile DVD rental wish list.