Database source after adding?

Talk to other Pedia users about the programs, share tricks and tips or ask questions about existing features.
breese78
Contributor
Contributor

Database source after adding?

Post by breese78 »

After adding an item to your library, is there a way to find out what database was used to grab the information? I realize there is a way to select the database that is used when doing a search and at the time of adding. What I want to know is if there is a way to go back and see which entries came from where. For example, some CDs I added using Amazon's database, others I added using discogs, and others I added by actually inserting the disc (which I think uses gracenote or something similar). Now I want to go back and see the source for each entry.
Conor
Top Dog

Re: Database source after adding?

Post by Conor »

The URL field contains a link back to where the original information came from. It's not normally displayed but can be turned on in the preference panel under the fields tab. Then you will be able to add it as as an extra column or view it in the edit panel under the extras tab. From the domain of the URL you can tell where the information came from.
breese78
Contributor
Contributor

Post by breese78 »

Thanks for the quick reply. I figured the information was there somewhere, but I just couldn't find it. Didn't think to look in preferences though.
sjk
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by sjk »

Related topic:

Show URL in browser
breese78
Contributor
Contributor

Post by breese78 »

Follow-up question:

So the URL field that you can enable in the preferences was exactly what I was looking for. Now it shows up in the Edit window and I can add it as a column in the normal Library view. However, I can't get it to show up in the Info panel. I saw the preference where you can enable/disable fields in the Info panel separately from the Edit window, but it doesn't seem to work for the URL field. I can disable the other fields and they disappear as expected, but the URL field won't display no matter what I try. I thought maybe it was an issue with the Info panel Template, but I tried a bunch of the other templates and had the same issue. Perhaps this is a bug? I'm running the latest version of CDpedia. I forgot to try the other 'pedias, but I'm not at my computer at the moment.
sjk
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by sjk »

Looks like it's simply because none of the default templates include the key:url tag:

Code: Select all

% pwd; grep -ir key:url .
/Applications/DVDpedia.app/Contents/Resources/Templates
%
breese78
Contributor
Contributor

Post by breese78 »

A-ha. I had a feeling it had something to do with the templates, it just seemed strange that NONE of the default templates display the URL, despite it being a separate option in the View preferences.

Does anyone happen to know if the FullMetal or iBlack templates display the URL? I suppose if I want it bad enough I can learn how to add it myself to one of the default templates.
sjk
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by sjk »

Just a guess, but it might be tricky to format long URLs to display nicely.

Maybe have a look at Creating a Template and Template Tags to see if that inspires (or scares :)) you to try modifying (or at least examine) existing templates.