Film Diary

Talk to other Pedia users about the programs, share tricks and tips or ask questions about existing features.
eromalodi
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Film Diary

Post by eromalodi »

I am very new to this software having just downloaded it 30 mins ago. I am trying to find out if it is possible to have a "Film Diary" collection that works independently of the "Library" collection. In other words, I currently keep a diary of the films I see in an Excel document and I would like to do this in DVDpedia, however, I have tried adding a new collection which I call film diary but anything I add to that is automatically added to the library. I am aware that I can exclude the collection from the library, but then that means anything that I watch and enter in the film diary that is in currently my library is automatically deleted from the library collection.

The big question is - is there anyway of creating a collection that runs entirely independently from the main library collection, in that I can have some things in there that are also in my library and some things which are not?

Thanks in advance,

ID
sjk
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Re: Film Diary

Post by sjk »

eromalodi wrote:I am aware that I can exclude the collection from the library, but then that means anything that I watch and enter in the film diary that is in currently my library is automatically deleted from the library collection.
I don't think that should happen.
The big question is - is there anyway of creating a collection that runs entirely independently from the main library collection, in that I can have some things in there that are also in my library and some things which are not?
I don't think deleting items in excluded collections should delete them from Library.

My understanding is that duplicate items in excluded collections are independent from each, although a few months ago I was confused by and questioning this. I'll look for that topic later, especially Bruji's response, since it seems relevant to this discussion.

I could be wrong, but when multiple copies of the same item are added (e.g. using copy/paste) they should be distinct from each other regardless of which collections there in.

Since you're starting out new it's a good time for trying different things to get a better sense of how they work. Easier to start again from scratch if you mess up something while the db is still small. :) Also, making a backup of ~/Library/Application Support/DVDpedia before doing anything that seems risky is a good idea so you can roll back to it if necessary.
Last edited by sjk on Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sjk
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by sjk »

See Conor's post that starts with "DVDpedia always creates aliases to movies, never duplicates…" for some possibly helpful explanation.
eromalodi
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by eromalodi »

Thanks for your response. I see now that I should have copied, then pasted the original entries rather than dragging them. I have another unrelated question, but I'll post that in a new topic.

ID
sjk
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by sjk »

eromalodi wrote:Thanks for your response.
Thanks for yours.
I have another unrelated question, but I'll post that in a new topic.
I could start a new thread for the rest of this reply but it seems related enough to keep here.

Nope, the increasing length (and "Film Diary" title of this one :)) made me change my mind; I'll start a fresh one and link to it here.

EDIT: Extended response posted as [DVDpedia 4.5.3] move/copy/alias and collection issues/ideas.