Using both vlc and apple dvd player?

Talk to other Pedia users about the programs, share tricks and tips or ask questions about existing features.
speters
Contributor
Contributor

Using both vlc and apple dvd player?

Post by speters »

I have both dvd's and hd material on my hard drives and I would like to some how set up dvd pedia so that when it see's a .m2t file it would automatically use vlc for playback. Can this be done?

Thanks,
Steve
Nora
Site Admin

Re: Using both vlc and apple dvd player?

Post by Nora »

You can tell the program to use VLC but then it will always use VLC, there's no option yet to switch between different players. This preference is for VIDEO_TS folders only though. For linked files, DVDpedia defers to whatever you have set in the Finder as the preferred application to open this file with.

If you'd like to set your preferred player to VLC for VIDEO_TS folders, open the application Terminal found in Applications/Utilities and type in the line below, followed by a return:

Code: Select all

defaults write com.bruji.dvdpedia "VLC for VIDEO_TS" -bool YES
speters
Contributor
Contributor

Post by speters »

I have some hd material, .m2t files that I recorded and would like to be able to use dvd pedia to catalog and then play them back. So for those files I would like to use VLC, for my Video_TS files I would like to use the dvd player. I would use VLC to play back the video_ts files if I was able to use it like the dvd player. When I have tried to use vlc to play back dvd's there is no menu or scene selection? Is that how it is or am I missing something?
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

DVDpedia was not aware of ".m2t" files, download the beta and it will recognize new linked .m2t files as movies. So with the beta make sure to not disable VLC preference above for VIDEO_TS folders as you don't want that. If you have already turned it on it can be undone by running the opposite command:

Code: Select all

defaults write com.bruji.dvdpedia "VLC for VIDEO_TS" -bool NO
Link a .m2t to an entry in the beta of DVDpedia and when clicked it should open in VLC and VIDEO_TS should open with DVD Player. If the .m2t file fails to open select the file in the Finder and use "Get Info" under the file menu and make sure that "Open with:" is set to VLC and use the "Change All" button to set this as the default for this file type.

This is a minor change and you can use the beta as your regular DVDpedia without harm.