Transferring *pedia to iPhone

Talk to other Pedia users about the programs, share tricks and tips or ask questions about existing features.
LizzieS

Transferring *pedia to iPhone

Post by LizzieS »

Hi, I am considering purchasing most of the pedias. My husband has an extremely large library 3,000+ books and is keen to have it available at his fingertips on the iPhone. Having just discovered the Pedia suite I am a little confused about the option to sync with the iPhone. I have read that the Pocketpedia app beeing pulled by Amazon but is that just for searching Amazon? Can I still download Bookpedia and sync to my iPhone? Thanks in advance to anyone for clarification.
Conor
Top Dog

Re: Transferring *pedia to iPhone

Post by Conor »

We are creating a new version that will both not search Amazon and not sync data that was downloaded from Amazon as that is also against the Amazon terms of agreement. It should be out in a coupe of weeks and you will be able to test it along Bookpedia to find out if it fits your husband's needs. I hope that it will.
LizzieS

Post by LizzieS »

Thanks Conor. We will wait a couple of weeks and download a trial version. With the new Pocketpedia app I'm sure it will be just what we're looking for.
Porto

Post by Porto »

Hello, I'm new here and using DVDpedia.
I was very excited about pocketpedia until I found all this situation with Amazon.
I'm trying to understand. The new version is not going to be able to use information downloaded from Amazon. That mean when I will sync with the new application all information downloaded from amazon will not appear in the mobile device?
I use Amazon as the main source of information.
Thank you.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

It will transfer the title and director as well as all the personal fields that are not filled by Amazon (location, borrower, awards, country, ...). This way you can still know what movies you have but the Amazon data for that movie will stay only on DVDpedia (summary, reviews, price, url link back to Amazon, rating, starring, release date, ...). Unfortunately there is nothing we can do about that situation until Amazon changes their policy.
jschaffe
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by jschaffe »

Conor wrote:It will transfer ... all the personal fields that are not filled by Amazon...but the Amazon data for that movie will stay only on DVDpedia (... rating, starring, release date, ...).
In CDpedia, I only import from iTunes playlists and make extensive use of the year and ratings fields (although I miss the per-track ratings from iTunes). Now I assume movie ratings and my own music track ratings are not the same field, but will all the iTunes fields be available in Pocketpedia, or will some of them be left behind because they conflict with data that's independently available from Amazon?
zopp
Inductee
Inductee

Post by zopp »

In my case, many data were introduced manually. For my books, as the are not recent and mostly in French, I scan more than 95 % of covers and fill in the other data manually. Similar situation for my DVDs (also in French) where synopsis, covers and other data are also introduced manually. CD lists are transferred from iTunes.

In such a case, Amazon doesn't provide me with many information and I guess what will be the synchronization limit once the iPhone version will be released. I encourage you, all the Bruji team, to allow us the iPhone synchro, as it is really very helpful to keep all our libraries in the pocket, namely in case you are in a book store asking yourself if you should buy this ... or if you already have it in your house.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Pocketpedia2 is now in the App Store. Only entries with a URL link back to Amazon are affected by the partial sync. Thank you for all the support.
sjk
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by sjk »

Conor wrote:Only entries with a URL link back to Amazon are affected by the partial sync.
Thanks for that Interesting bit of info.
teacher24_70
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by teacher24_70 »

Conor wrote:It will transfer the title and director as well as all the personal fields that are not filled by Amazon (location, borrower, awards, country, ...). This way you can still know what movies you have but the Amazon data for that movie will stay only on DVDpedia (summary, reviews, price, url link back to Amazon, rating, starring, release date, ...). Unfortunately there is nothing we can do about that situation until Amazon changes their policy.
So if I still have Pocketpedia 1 on my iPhone and now download Pocketpedia 2, does that mean that I get the best of both worlds? My original Pocketpedia still allows me to sync with Bookpedia & DVDpedia. Only 1 way, but it sounds like it may have more information.

I guess that I could use PP1 to see more information & PP2 to add information "on-the-go" and have it sync back to the desktop apps.

Am I understanding correctly and will my assumptions work?
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

The new version should be superior in every way to the older version. Amazon has disabled the old version's search function, so the fact that it's missing from the new version should not be a setback. Version 4.5.3 of the Pedias will sync more information with the old Pocketpedia for the Amazon data, so that is one plus.