Moving from one computer to another, saving the preferences

Talk to other Pedia users about the programs, share tricks and tips or ask questions about existing features.
michele654
Contributor
Contributor

Moving from one computer to another, saving the preferences

Post by michele654 »

I manage a church lending library, and I'm getting shuffled around computer wise.

I can export the bookpedia database, but I haven't figured out how to get the application preferences over to a new install of BookPedia. Any suggestions? I'm going through and writing the preferences down, but it's tedious to re-do the preferences every time I change computers.

Thanks!

-Michele
Alex
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Re: Moving from one computer to another, saving the preferences

Post by Alex »

Make sure you copy the following file as well:

~/Library/Preferences/com.bruji.bookpedia.plist

and put it in that same folder before starting Bookpedia. Once you do start it, it will read those preferences.

Note that the "~" is just a shortcut to your home folder, but if you actually copy and paste this line: ~/Library/Preferences/
into Go-> Go to Folder menu from the Finder, it will take you to that folder already.
Conor
Top Dog

Re: Moving from one computer to another, saving the preferences

Post by Conor »

Also the best way to migrate the data is to also copy the data folder to the new computer instead of using an export. Perform this copy while Bookpedia is not running. The data folder is also located in your home folder inside ~/Library/Application Support/Bookpedia. Copy this "Bookpedia" folder to the same "Application Support" location on the new computer, if you have run Bookpedia on the new computer already you will have to replace the existing folder (I recommend renaming it first instead of replacing it, in case of a mistake you can recover the previous folder). If you use the Mac OS migration assistant to move computers it will take care of copying both the data folder and the preferences automatically.