How to remove large numbers of exact duplicates?

Talk to other Pedia users about the programs, share tricks and tips or ask questions about existing features.
colinc
Contributor
Contributor

How to remove large numbers of exact duplicates?

Post by colinc »

Hi all,
While testing the import playlist function from Itunes I ended up duplicating my entire iTunes part of my collection ( I mistakingly thought I read something years ago that exact duplicates don't get imported). Now I am trying to find a way to remove them.
If I do a 'Show Duplicates' it happily provides the list for me, but I can only delete them from the duplicates collection that way; not my actual library.

Any ideas ?

Ps. an enhancement to not import iTunes information which is identical (with the possible exception of 'last played' information) to existing records would make ongoing maintenance far simpler ..

Regards, Colin
Alex
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Re: How to remove large numbers of exact duplicates?

Post by Alex »

If you hold down Option-Delete from any collection it will also delete the record from your library. So your best bet in this case it so select all the duplicates, then hit Option-Delete, a warning will come up, hit OK. Poof, duplicates gone.
Conor
Top Dog

Re: How to remove large numbers of exact duplicates?

Post by Conor »

iTunes imports are also done into a excluded collection, so if you have not removed the newly created collection you would be able to remove it and also remove the duplicate records. Thank you for the suggestion on an iTunes import that matches current records and does not re-import existing albums, will try to work that enhancement in to a future version.