New Info View Templates

Tell us about your wildest feature dreams. Or just harmless suggestions for improvement.
kbarnes70
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

New Info View Templates

Post by kbarnes70 »

I've noticed there haven't been any new Info View templates for a while. With the help of Conor I have recently modified in a small but very useful way the Info View template I use and in doing so have become aware of what can be done with these templates in terms of design and usefulness. I have no knowledge of html coding myself, but I know that there are many Pedia users who do - there are some stunning Export templates for example. Would it be possible, or a good idea, to maybe create a competition for new Info View templates with perhaps the offer a small prize for the one chosen by users to be the most popular? It would be a way of renewing interest in these templates and could bring new life to the Info Views we all use. I am thinking especially here of DVDpedia where the information is considerable and where a really good designer could make a terrific impact. Just an idea.

Kind regards,

Keith
Conor
Top Dog

Re: New Info View Templates

Post by Conor »

We would be happy to sponsor a competition for info view templates. I'll talk to Nora and see what we can organize. It would give us a broader choice and also minimize some of the work that we have to do on updating the programs. Most likely schedule it for the beginning of summer as this tend to be a season when more users have time.
kbarnes70
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Re: New Info View Templates

Post by kbarnes70 »

Conor wrote:We would be happy to sponsor a competition for info view templates. I'll talk to Nora and see what we can organize. It would give us a broader choice and also minimize some of the work that we have to do on updating the programs. Most likely schedule it for the beginning of summer as this tend to be a season when more users have time.
That would be terrific, Conor. The Info View is the heart of the program in terms of the user interface and is one area of DVDpedia that I don't think is living up to its potential yet. There are some amazingly talented html designers in the Bruji community and I'm sure they will respond well! It's also a neat way of getting users involved in the actual design process for the program - and it could create some useful PR for you too. I'll look foward to it!

From a personal POV, I'd like to see some of the creativity of Torsten Mess's amazing Export Template (Three Views) and April King's 'Fancy Index' combined with the full set of information provided by DVDpedia's own CollectionLinks template. Top of my wish list would be clickable links for Cast and Crew and Director etc, cover preview in the template itself, every possible field user-selectable, including My Ratings in the header and movie Release Date in the header and a generally more 'exciting' design overall. If it could have the option of a tabbed design or an 'all on one page' design, so much the better!

Kind regards,

Keith