Pocketpedia2

Announcements, upcoming features,... (READ ME!)
kbarnes70
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Re: Pocketpedia2

Post by kbarnes70 »

steve wrote:I just went to install on the app on my wife's new iPod and found it it was no longer available. Have you considered removing Amazon from the search list so that the app can be re-posted in the app store. I know I wouldn't miss it there are plenty of other sources to pull from.
Get the full, ugly Amazon story here...

http://bruji.com/articles/2010/01/26/un ... scussions/

Kind regards,

Keith
Ted
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by Ted »

[quote="Nora"]Obviously we wouldn't simply take Amazon away and leave the Pedias with nothing - we'd replace Amazon with something better and more reliable, such as our own database. Which is why going 'Amazon-free' would take quite some time since the database and its interface have to be set up and then populated with information. So that's more of a long-term idea, not an immediate fix for the situation.[/quote]
Since not having an iPad version of the Pedias is untenable in the long term, not to mention the competitive advantage it would give you, I'd certainly encourage you to set up your own DB, although it sounds to me like a monumental undertaking.

Really wish Apple had bought the IMDB & CDDB while the going was good. Meanwhile, F.U. Amazon. I was planning on using the the Kindle app. on the iPad, but no more -- I'll be using the alternatives.

Keep us posted on your DB plans!
ratmice
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ratmice »

Wow. I really can't believe how petty Amazon is being. I really enjoy having my list of titles available when I'm out shopping. hopefully something will develop down the line with the same functionality. For now I'm glad I still have copies of Pocketpedia2.
Ronin
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by Ronin »

I must be missing something. What is wrong with having a read only version of PocketPedia for the iPhone so that you can have access to your list of things when shopping. That would not require access to Amazon at all. When you enter the new purchases to your Mac, you simply update/sync and you have a current inventory of your library.

There are other apps to check prices, if that is what the idea of having access to Amazon is about.

I do note that there are still a number of DVDs and CDs that the Pedias miss when entering and I have to manually enter them from the sites that were searched, but missed so there is a possibility that that there is a data format issue or something.
Last edited by Ronin on Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
kbarnes70
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by kbarnes70 »

Ronin wrote:I must be missing something. What is wrong with having a read only version of PocketPedia for the iPhone so that you can have access to your list of things when shopping.
Amazon won't allow any of their information to be synched from the desktop Pedias to a "mobile device".

Kind regards,

Keith
Last edited by kbarnes70 on Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
bigfella
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by bigfella »

Not sure what all the fuss is about.I seldom ,if ever use Amazon as a reference for anything.I have dvd pedia and find I use iMdb most followed by YesAsia and two local Australian sites. As far as Amazon goes , in whatever country you choose to select, it comes back with too much rubbish too often.I'm a collector of foreign movies and find that Amazon sites seem to refer back to Amazon US way too often(if its not on Amazons list, your out of luck).Much of my collection is handled manually, I then get the right information and original covers for my expansive collection.The addition of more foreign sites would improve information much more than having Amazon on board or web sites that review movies/dvds.As for dvdpedia2 I love it as it is my mini computer and who needs to speak 4 or 5 languages , I highlight the original cover and all language barriers are passed , all I have to be sure of is that I get english subtitles when purchasing dvds. Bruji is a macs best friend.
labyrinthworm
Inductee
Inductee

Post by labyrinthworm »

I just registered just to chime in my opinion. I bought DVDPedia about 6 months ago, and it has been nothing but awesome since I downloaded it. I upload websites with my films for people on my local server, and it's just really functional.

Sadly I have never experienced PocketPedia, but just the thought of it has me itching. I love my iPhone4 and if I could put my pedia on it, that would rock. I see all the crap with Amazon, and I usually love them, but that is really stupid. If we had to take a vote over making your own DB and removing amazon, i'd pick that, but I don't think you need to, the options in DVDPedia are great. I always use IMDB (and I have a lot of foreign films even), and when I don't get all the aggregate info I want, i use TMDB, once in a while I will use Amazon, but 95% of the time get what I need. I would prefer an app over having amazon, and maybe it could be coded in such a way that if you sync - it takes out amazon data, but I can see if you used amazon to gather info , it would create the problem, but I say good riddance, though it would suck if info synced would be removed, but if there was a way a script could tell a few other resources to reinput that info (not sure how it all works, im not a programmer), but that's just my opinion.

Regardless, I don't buy software too often (most things I can get through my dept.) but this was a great purchase and have been loving it!
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Thank you for the kind words on DVDpedia. Excluding entries from the sync was something that we considered but choose to not implement as it was something that would cause too much confusion. To that end we are working on DVDpedia now to be able to then have a fully featured Pocketpedia.
Ronin
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by Ronin »

Connor,

Would it be possible to have DVDpedia output a list of titles which could then be used in a utility or "server" (on the user's Mac) version of Pocketpedia to access sources other than Amazon and then sync the results to the "client" (iPhone) version of PocketPedia?
kbarnes70
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by kbarnes70 »

@labyrinthworm
@bigfella

I agree with most of what you say. For me, DVDpedia has plenty of other sources of information than Amazon, which I never use because the information is very often inaccurate. I would be much happier with an Amazon-free DVDpedia and an Ipad version of Pocketpedia, using all the features made possible by the larger screen real estate of the iPad. To me that would be awesome. But one of the main problems for Bruji is that no such sources as IMDb exist for books, CD and games, so they are sort of tied into Amazon for those three Pedias. I imagine that Bruji wants to retain an overall commonality to the 4 Pedias and this isn’t currently possible if DVDpedia went its own way.

I would happily PAY for an iPad version of DVDpedia if one was available, and I am sure many others would too, if that would help the development to be brought forward. I know from conversations here with Conor and Nora and Alex that they are working on this and nobody will be faster to sign up for the new mobile versions when they are released.

It's easier for me than it is for you guys because I was fortunate enough to get Pocketpedia 1 and 2 while they were available in the App Store, so I do feel your pain. Pocketpedia on my iPhone is almost as indispensable to me as the desktop version.

Kind Regards,

Keith
labyrinthworm
Inductee
Inductee

Post by labyrinthworm »

Keith, I didn't even think about the other pedias (as I don't use them), but that's a really good point. I can see how that might be an obstacle. It sucks that large corporations aren't in it for the people :\
kbarnes70
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by kbarnes70 »

labyrinthworm wrote:Keith, I didn't even think about the other pedias (as I don't use them), but that's a really good point. I can see how that might be an obstacle. It sucks that large corporations aren't in it for the people :\
Too true. Amazon are making no sense at all in their position on this. You can run DVDpedia on a laptop, which is mobile but not on an iPad, which is, er, mobile. Makes no sense does it? All they have done is lost the goodwill of the people who buy the most of the things they sell. I too only use DVDpedia so it's easy to forget the other Pedia users sometimes. I am sure, knowing Bruji, that they are working flat out to find us a resolution to having our databases with us on our mobile devices.

Kind Regards,

Keith
thajeztah
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by thajeztah »

kbarnes70 wrote:I would happily PAY for an iPad version of DVDpedia if one was available, and I am sure many others would too, if that would help the development to be brought forward. I know from conversations here with Conor and Nora and Alex that they are working on this and nobody will be faster to sign up for the new mobile versions when they are released.
I'd pay for an iPad version without doubt!
sjk
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

OT: BBCode disabled?

Post by sjk »

Anyone know why BBCode is disabled for topics under the General > News (http://www.bruji.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=2) subforum? It's making quoted text ugly (e.g. in recent replies here).
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

There is no global setting for the default. It's saved on a per-user basis in the database. Most likely an option in previous versions of phpBB that got stuck on an upgrade. Only found this information about initial settings for a new user. The value is 230271, which after some binary math, indicates that the BBCode should be enabled by default for all new users. Why one single forum seems to be excluded is a mystery.