Pedia Server

Tell us about your wildest feature dreams. Or just harmless suggestions for improvement.
d9pouces
Captain
Captain

Pedia Server

Post by d9pouces »

Hi,

Like many other people, I own two Mac and my Pedias are installed on both. Thus, I have many synchronization problems, to keep both machines up-to-date, because I want to be able to add (or remove) items either on my laptop or on my desktop.
The first step to solve this problem was to writing a Python script to synchronize databases, but it requires to directly read databases, which are stored as a file, and pictures.

So, why not creating a PediaServer, to which a Pedia (and maybe PocketPedia ;-) ) will connect through internet to synchronize data? It could be a great companion for all Pedias.

This is possible and not so hard to do. In fact, I have “created” my own server: this is a quite small script to create and fill a MySQL database with the content of the SQLite base of *Pedia and the content of pictures.

Then I wrote a client, which reads the local base and connects to the MySQL server to compare data. Collections are not supported (some informations are missing to perfectly synchronize them), but now, I can add and modify some books on my laptop and remove another book on my desktop before synchronizing them, and everything will correctly updated.

So, I solved my own problem with around 1,000 lines of Python (only with a basic command-line interface), but maybe someone else could be interested? I could post my code.
And it could be great to see such an option integrated directly into the Pedias.
Alex
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Re: Pedia Server

Post by Alex »

Regarding sharing data between 2 computers, why not put the database in a place accessible by both?

If both computers are in the same local network, all you need to do is share the folder containing the database, open the pedias in both computers holding down the option key and point the pedia to the new location of the database, then when you make changes on either computer and the other one will be updated as well.

You can find more information in the Pedia help under "Sharing the database".
d9pouces
Captain
Captain

Post by d9pouces »

Because my laptop is not always at home; I often leave it at work without access to my local network. And sometimes I want to add books on my laptop, sometimes on my desktop so the database must be reachable from both computers even if there are in different places. So, the use of a SQL server is mandatory to allow remote synchronizations while keeping my local database.

Now, I can easily synchronize my both computers (thanks to a daemon which is launched every time my database file is modified), the only thing I miss is the lack of synchronization for my PocketPedia :(
Alex
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by Alex »

Ok I get it.

Pocketpedia: we're working on it :)
Clancey

Post by Clancey »

Well, I guess I'm one of the lucky ones who still has pocketpedia. I came here looking to ask if you guys could make titles scroll in pocketpedia because when the movies all truncate to something like Harry Potter:... it's difficult to tell which one(s) I'm missing. Just a bug in the ear if you ever get back to pocketpedia. BTW: if I switch to Android do you have pocketpedia for that?
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Thank you for the feedback on Pocketpedia. We have no plans for an Android version and will most likely continue to support Android users via web standards such as our mobile version exports, that go on a web server or downloaded into an Android program that can view offline HTML.