Default field values

Tell us about your wildest feature dreams. Or just harmless suggestions for improvement.
NickSloan
Contributor
Contributor

Default field values

Post by NickSloan »

Is there any way at present to set default values on import, for info fields which are not populated by (e.g) Amazon?
If not, would you consider implementing this feature?
Nora
Site Admin

Re: Default field values

Post by Nora »

There are a few fields that can take default values such as Region and Video Format (in DVDpedia). You can assign these in the Preferences/Fields. At the moment we don't have any plans to expand these further but please let us know if there are other fields you'd be using this for and we can look into it.
NickSloan
Contributor
Contributor

Post by NickSloan »

Thanks Nora. I'm mostly concerned with Bookpedia, and the fields I'd want default values for would be custom fields to do with the ownership of books and whether or not they have been read. It's not a big issue, but I can see that being able to assign default values to custom fields could be useful generally.
nick14

Post by nick14 »

I agree with NickSloan. I use Bookpedia in an organization with books from several owners. Usually the books are owned by the organization. It would be useful to be able to assign a default value to custom fields. In our case for owner.
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

Well the custom fields are autofill fields, i.e. you can create a list of values that you commonly use so that you only need to type the first letter or two to have the program fill in the rest for you. Anything you type into the field will automatically be saved to the autofill list but you can also build and edit it in the Preferences/Autofill.
NickSloan
Contributor
Contributor

Post by NickSloan »

Yes Nora, that is indeed a very helpful feature of the Pedias. But what I (and nick14?) had in mind I think, is that there will be occasions when you know you will be adding a whole series of items where you want some fields to have specific default entries. Of course these can be edited later by multiple selection, and it is not (for my part) a major issue, just a nice feature if it could be accomplished without too much code wrestling.
nick14

Post by nick14 »

I agree, it is not a major issue and the autofill function is fundamental and excellent for most daily needs. But since you asked for suggestions for candidate fields to support default values I wanted to add my wish :)