Joomla

Tell us about your wildest feature dreams. Or just harmless suggestions for improvement.
InstitutCulture

Joomla

Post by InstitutCulture »

A few days ago, i discovered your great software and it really fits my needs.

I will be shortly cataloguing a law library with institutional documentation and very specific law books. A useful feature for me would be to be able to retrieve information from the Bibliotheque nationale de France and from the National Library of Canada. I tried to add the two sources using z3950 servers, but wasn't successful.

A nice additional and very useful feature would be a plugin/component/module for Joomla to display our catalogue online and search its content with keywords or with other methods like i did here with SOBI2: http://www.institut-culture.org/index.p ... se/search/

I’m seriously considering buying your software. It is flexible and very useful.

Thanks.
Nora
Site Admin

Re: Joomla

Post by Nora »

The z39.50 connection to the National Library of Canada is: amicus.collectionscanada.gc.ca:210/NL Unfortunately Bookpedia can't seem to connect to the French national library, possibly because their system uses a different encoding.

Thanks for the suggestion on Joomla. We'll keep that in mind for the future.
InstitutCulture

Thank you so much Nora for the very fast reply.

I din't realise that Amicus was the NLC's catalogue!

Sadly, it doesn't work for the BNF. Thanks for trying.

I guess a Joomla component or a WordPress plugin would be very popular! I would be able to create a web interface with search options for my students. And it would be available online, not just in our research library.

Cheers.
InstitutCulture

I found a very interesting solution for those of you who would like to export their Bookpedia data to a Joomla website and make them searchable.

I didn't test it yet on a live site, but i conducted a series of tests with a MAMP server on my MacBook and they are conclusive so far.

1- Format your list in Bookpedia as you would like to see it appear on your Joomla website (pick your columns and put them in order).

2- Export that formatted list using the export text feature of Bookpedia selecting CSV.

3- Change the appending extension of the exported file to .csv (if the file has a .txt extension).

4- Install on your Joomla website EasyTable (free) or EasyTable Pro (for more options) component from See People Software: http://seepeoplesoftware.com/

5- Go to the backend of your Joomla website and choose the EasyTable component.

6- Click “New” and create your new table with your .csv file (that you must upload with the uploading tool selecting “First line of CSV file contains column headings?” YES).

7- Don't forget to create a menu to link to your new table or a list of all your tables.

8- You can add as many tables as you like, let's say for different kinds of books or by authors, editors, place of edition, etc.

You can update your data using the same method.

After importing your data, you have a fully searchable database with all your books or the ones you choose to export (cause EasyTable transfers your data to your MySQL database).

You can also customise the presentation of your data and it fully integrates with your Joomla template.

Hope it can be useful to other people who want to export their Bookpedia data to a dynamic website.