DVDpedia - quick Smart Collections for actors, directors

Tell us about your wildest feature dreams. Or just harmless suggestions for improvement.
bdge
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

DVDpedia - quick Smart Collections for actors, directors

Post by bdge »

Hi. I've just discovered DVDpedia and wish I had sooner. I love the interface and it's easy to tell that a lot of work has gone into making it so smooth and fluid, and the attention to detail is excellent.

I have spent a fair while creating Smart Collections of my favourite actors and directors.

It would be really cool if you could somehow display a list of actors, or directors (or whatever field you like), and filter the results by clicking (or multi-clicking) on it.

Cooler still would be the ability to then *save* that as a Smart Collection.

A quicker to implement but not quite as good implementation could be achieved by allowing the current search to be quick-saved as a Smart Collection. 'Not quite as good' because it would not allow (the equivalent of) multi-select... you'd have to Edit it afterwards if you wanted to put more than one search criterion in it.

So if you could have all that done by, oooh, 7pm my time tomorrow, that would be great ;-)

--
Conor
Top Dog

Re: DVDpedia - quick Smart Collections for actors, directors

Post by Conor »

Thank you for the feedback, we are on it for tomorrow morning.

A tag cloud is something that is on the to do list, not quite yet sure how we would integrate that yet. Could be a browser window like iTunes, or a bar with keywords or indeed a modern blog-style conglomeration of tags that have different sizes representing how often they appear.

We had not considered automatically creating a smart collection from that current selection, it's an interesting idea. But one that seems to be a lot of technical work when smart collections tend to require a more hands on approach as they have so many options that a user might want to select.
bdge
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by bdge »

Hi Conor, thanks for the reply.

Maybe it would be easier to add a 'Duplicate Smart Collection' right-click menu item, so all you'd need to do after is Edit it and change the criteria, rather than start again each time. You've got a copy of my database now (emailed to Nora at her request) so if you do end up looking at it, maybe you might see that I'm doing my collections in a daft way, or something.

I've a list of other ideas and feature requests I've been making (I'm sure you're glad to hear :) which I'll post shortly.

Cheers! :beer:

--
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Feature requests under the influence of alcohol lead to too much work for us, so I can't encourage the practice of drinking and designing.