5.0 is here!

Talk to other Pedia users about the programs, share tricks and tips or ask questions about existing features.
DRL
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

5.0 is here!

Post by DRL »

It sounds wonderful...........but, and this is something I've been wondering for a long time, it seems to be such a drastic change and I'm completely ecstatic about my existing version (which I've just checked is version 4.6.5). Is it possible to stick with that version - or will it one day stop working? (I obviously don't want to lose all my stored information!)
DAK
Contributor
Contributor

Re: 5.0 is here!

Post by DAK »

Good stuff!

Before upgrading, I have a rather important (to me) question: Will version 5 of the *Pedias continue to work with PocketPedia2?
I ask this because the notes for the beta of version 5 stated that the *Pedias now use a new database structure.

The mobile app is really important to me, and I consider it to be a fundamental feature in my usage of the *Pedia software. If the desktop software no longer works with PocketPedia2 then, although I would really like to upgrade, I will have to hold off doing so until you've completed work on the new mobile app.
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

@DRL - Version 4.6.8 will not stop working (at least not as far as we're concerned). We will also keep supporting the old version but we won't be actively fixing bugs or anything. But of course you're welcome to keep using it for as long as you like!

@DAK - We haven't changed anything about the way the sync works with version 5 and Pocketpedia so you shouldn't have any trouble with the update. (The sync is aware of the new database structure but obviously new fields are not synched, yet, since Pocketpedia doesn't know they exist.) We did hear from a few users who are having trouble with iOS5 and synching but that seems to be related rather to the iOS than the programs.

In any case Pocketpedia and its return to the App Store will be our next project! :)
color_grafx
Inductee
Inductee

Post by color_grafx »

According to the email, to get the upgrade discount you need to "Use the 'Update' button in the registration window to receive the update discount in our store." Are you saying to download & install version 5, then select "Register DVDPedia"?
marksealey
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by marksealey »

Hearty congratulations, Conor, Nora and friends.

Great job!

What a lot of hard work - all so well worth it. Thanks :-)
Miesmacher
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by Miesmacher »

Two questions before I consider paying for an upgrade:

1. If I test it and don't like it, can I go back to the previous version hassle-free?

2. And is the annoying problem with the new iMacs fixed? (see <http://bruji.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4330>)
It's been months now that the (for me) most important feature of Bookpedia doesn't work and I don't see value in paying for an upgrade which does not even solve my problem.

I notice that the main bookpedia page still says "iSight & UPC scanner integration". At least for me, and seemingly other owners of a new iMac, this is not true anymore, so if the problem is not fixed it is IMO not correct to advertise a non-working feature.

Cheers,
Miesmacher
DAK
Contributor
Contributor

Post by DAK »

Miesmacher wrote:1. If I test it and don't like it, can I go back to the previous version hassle-free?
From http://www.bruji.com/beta
"Version 5 uses a new database structure so use this new version exclusively from now on to avoid confusion.
Your current data file will be copied and updated when you run this beta, keeping the original file intact. You can use the current version of the Pedias (4.6.8) again but data will not automatically move between the two versions."

I take this to mean that you can go back to using v.4, but any changes that you made using v.5 will not be reflected in v.4 (and vice-versa), since your database is essentially forked into two copies (one in v.4 format and one in v.5 format).
I see no reason to believe that the situation should be any different for the final version of v.5 than it was for the beta.
DAK
Contributor
Contributor

Post by DAK »

Nora wrote:@DAK - We haven't changed anything about the way the sync works with version 5 and Pocketpedia so you shouldn't have any trouble with the update.
Good news. Thanks for the clarification, Nora!
I'll upgrade to v.5 soon. Looking forward to it.
dexham
Contributor
Contributor

Post by dexham »

"About Bookpedia" states that it is version 4.9.3, not version 5. It also says that it came from the App Store so I assume that it is version 5, but clarification would be welcome.
williedigital
Captain
Captain

Post by williedigital »

Two quick ones:

1. Does the para9 Front Row plugin still work?

2. What is this "Doghouse" thing? Not quite understanding it.
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

@color_grafx - Yes, you need to install version 5 first (so you can try it out before deciding whether you want to update or not). If you do decide to upgrade, go into the program menu > Register DVDpedia and press the 'Update' button to be taken to the store with the discount coupon applied. Make sure you use the same email address you used to originally purchase the program so that the coupon will be honored.

@Miesmacher - Yes, you can return to version 4.6.8 without problems if you don't like 5.0. Just re-download the program from this link: http://www.bruji.com/dvdpedia/dvdpedia4.6.8.dmg (if you're using a different program, replace the program name in the URL). Your old database file will remain intact with the update.

The iSight feature for iMacs has been partially fixed since we're getting reports from users who say that it works now and others say there's no change. So we're still working on that.

@dexham - I'm sorry for the confusion about that version number mix up. You definitely have the latest version, 5.0, it's just a display error in the program. We will fix the about box for the next version release.

@williedigital - The para9 plug-in does not work with version 5 since the developers of the plug-in elected not to update it (since Front Row is no longer supported by Apple). Doghouse is a media database built by and for Pedia users. You can share your data with others by contributing entries and search it for data, just like you would on any of the other sites. To start contributing to Doghouse, go into the 'Doghouse' menu in your Pedia program and sign up via the Settings. After that you can select entries or whole collections to contribute. (Before contributing please make sure that your entries are well curated, ie. that you use the program for its intended use and don't have lists of home movies catalogued that won't be of any use to other Pedia users. We've put up a little guideline page about Doghouse submissions here.)
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

@marksealey Thanks for the feedback Mark - glad to hear you're enjoying the new version! :)
marksealey
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by marksealey »

Hi Nora; definitely!

Although I can't get iSight to work (reliably) either. 'mid-2011' iMac (10.7.2)

I still use Cue-Cat; is there a better Bluetooth alternative, please? Preferably simple and cheap :-)

My DVDPedia didn't ask for the reg. string - presumably b/c I was entitled to a free upgrade. Happily paid anyway :-)

Thanks again!
danco
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by danco »

A couple of questions.

How long will the discount last for. I am travelling for several weeks, and online payments are difficult for me.

Is there a discounted bundle upgrade price? I bought book, cd, and DVD pedias as a bundle and would want to upgrade all three.
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

@danco - The update discount will be valid indefinitely so don't worry about loosing out on that if you update at a later point. For three Pedias the update price is discounted to US$29.

@marksealey - Thanks for the update contribution! :) Regarding the iSight issue, by unreliable you mean the scans work sometimes but not always? Or they never work?
There are a couple of good Bluetooth scanners out there that work well with the Pedias. Check out this thread for more info on that.