Bring back Amazon databases please!

Tell us about your wildest feature dreams. Or just harmless suggestions for improvement.
twblackadder
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Bring back Amazon databases please!

Post by twblackadder »

Hi,

I just bought and upgraded the latest v5.0.0 for my CD/BOOK/DVDpedia without notice that Amazon database is no longer available in the Pedia databases now.

I tried to scan item's barcode to add new items, as I used to do, to my library, but the new v5.0.0 fails utterly to get any data from the new databases to my library. How can this happen? Is there anything that I wrongly do and need to learn? Or it is just the issue of new databases. It is a very disappointed experience using the latest v5.0.0, be honest! :?

Anyway, is it possible to bring back Amazon in the new databases of the v5.0.0? Can I downgrade the v.5.0.0 to the v.4.6.8 in case? If so, how can I downgrade them?

Thanks.

(I am using Mac OSX 10.6.8 in 17" MBP 2.3GHZ i7)
Last edited by twblackadder on Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nora
Site Admin

Re: Bring back Amazon databases please!

Post by Nora »

Amazon is still there you just need to sign up for the search with them, as mentioned in the release notes. For more information about this, go into the Preferences/Sites > 'Amazon Settings' and click on the purple help mark button. Alternatively, you can also access the Help files online for more information (here's the DVDpedia one, for example).

If you would still prefer to downgrade back to version 4.6.8 after that, you can download those versions here: DVDpedia, Bookpedia, CDpedia.
twblackadder
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by twblackadder »

Hi Nora,

Thank you for your prompt reply and step-by-step information. I just finished the Amazon set-up in my BOOK/CD/DVDPedia databases although it took some time to learn how to open the services of Amazon Associates and Amazon Web Services.
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

Glad to hear that worked. Unfortunately Amazon didn't leave us much choice on the matter with our Pocketpedia issues. But as Doghouse grows it'll hopefully become a worthy stand-in. :)
Echo

Post by Echo »

The Amazon databases made this program find what you wanted much easier. Maybe you could offer those who wanted it a choice?

The details for Finding, Opening the Amazon settings, preferences, sites, etc makes this job a real pain and time consuming.

Also I have had trouble with the CDpedia program before having to go through the entire database and RE-FIND and insert the correct ALBUM COVER. Finding the
Album Cover with this new version is more difficult.(so I hope I don't have to do that again)
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

Once you sign up for Amazon you're all set, you won't have to do it again.

To download cover images in the new version, ctrl-click (right-click) on the cover image well at the bottom left of the main window and select "Download from" and select a site or "Open Google Images" to search for cover images on Google. (You can then ctrl-click any images Google finds and select 'Make Cover' to make that the cover image of your entry.)
jtk21
Inductee
Inductee

Post by jtk21 »

Version 5 merely demonstrates that not all "upgrades" represent improvement. You've really screwed up a perfectly good Amazon search system in v.4. Looks like its downgrade city for me! :(
sjk
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by sjk »

jtk21 wrote:You've really screwed up a perfectly good Amazon search system in v.4.
How so? Amazon searching works just fine for me after AWS activation.

Before throwing blame around, do you realize that Amazon has made changes that Bruji is doing its best to adapt the 'podia software for?
Echo

Post by Echo »

Where do you get the "Associate tag" (associate ID)?
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

You can get the Associate ID here.
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

@jtk21 - The reason we've moved the Amazon searches to be a sign up option rather than an incorporated one is because we've had several issues with their services in the past, most importantly regarding our iPhone app which we had to remove from the App Store twice because of complaints from Amazon. With this new system, those issues will hopefully be taken care of for good.
Another reason for this is also that users now get the commissions on sales made through Amazon instead of us since it's your associate ID in the program and not ours.

Have you tried some of the other search sites though? IMDb has a very good database for movies as do Wikipedia and Freebase. Doghouse, the Pedias own new database, is still growing since it is user-built and we have only just launched the programs. But in the future we hope it'll become a powerful search option as well.
Kernos
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by Kernos »

The Amazon problem isn't that much of a problem if one follows the directions in the help file. But, that is kind of hidden and some will not find it. You should make this info much more obvious, preferably have the sign-up links incorporated into your app when one 1st tries to use Amazon. It's too complicated for a lot of users. You should also have a common pref.xml for all the pedias one has on their machines so Amazon info only has to be entered once.

What happened to the popup in the Add books/dvds dialog? Often I want to choose which database I draw info from.

Finally, I have been asking for a GOODREADS.COM interface. The API is not that complicated and the site has much better information than any other book data source, IMO. Is it a licensing problem or some other non-programming issue?
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

Thanks for the feedback Kernos. We'll try and make the Amazon signup more prominent.

The site search options are still there - click on the little magnifying glass in the search window to select a specific site for searching. This will also show you any limiters if the site has that option, i.e. narrowing your search to just titles or authors.

We will write to the Goodreads API team to ask about inclusion for the Pedias in the future. (Their API is intended for non-commercial use but we'll contact them.)
Lodovico
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by Lodovico »

Nora wrote:You can get the Associate ID here.
Does the Associates ID have to be from the US Amazon site?

If I get a UK Amazon Associates ID (which would probably be more useful to me) would that only work for Amazon.co.uk searches? And would I also need an Amazon.fr Associates membership to do French Amazon searches?
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

No the Associate ID doesn't have to be from the US site. If you already have an Associate ID from another Amazon site you can use that instead. All Amazon sites will be turned on once you sign up, regardless of where your associate ID came from.