PNG file Support for Artwork

Tell us about your wildest feature dreams. Or just harmless suggestions for improvement.
V.S.
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

PNG file Support for Artwork

Post by V.S. »

Hi,

When will DVDPedia add support for PNG files so that the transparency can be maintained when PNG files are used as DVD Covers?
Conor
Top Dog

Re: PNG file Support for Artwork

Post by Conor »

We looked at defaulting to PNG for version 5, but the file size and speed were abysmal compared to JPEG. I'll try to incorporate more native PNG support in the future. You can currently change the cover files to be PNG and DVDpedia will handle it including the transparency for display, but if you add the file via DVDpedia it writes it out as the default JPEG format. There a lot of places where the program would need to be updated and it's not easy as the Cocoa makes the image type opaque and handles all images equally. Thank you for the reminder about PNG.
V.S.
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by V.S. »

"You can currently change the cover files to be PNG and DVDpedia will handle it including the transparency for display"

How can one do this? I tried changing the cover in Finder directly but it didn't recognize the PNG file.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

You have to change the extension on the png file to ".jpg" so that DVDpedia sees it as the regular cover image. The one place it does not handle the transparency is in the grid view (cover view) the cover flow does handle it. When I upgrade the program to be able to better handle PNGs I'll look at adding automatic recognition of files ending in .png in the covers folder.
V.S.
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by V.S. »

Thank you... will be waiting for this feature.