5.0. Names in my DB are now a mess

Talk to other Pedia users about the programs, share tricks and tips or ask questions about existing features.
gilbertdh
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

5.0. Names in my DB are now a mess

Post by gilbertdh »

lastname, firstname is a standard way to enter names and I've entered most names in my database in just that way. They are all now split as if they were two different people. When I try to enter a name in a new entry, it won't let me enter it in that standard way because it thinks George and Gershwin are two different people, not one. All of the autofill entries are now separate names, an entry for every first name and every last name in the database. The rationale for using this standard is to sort on last name. Can I convert all of the names that are now [Gershwin] [George] to [Gershwin George]? The Pedias are so well designed, but this is quite a mess.

David
Nora
Site Admin

Re: 5.0. Names in my DB are now a mess

Post by Nora »

When you updated to version 5 and the data file updated itself the program should have asked you whether your authors were listed as Lastname, Firstname or Firstname Lastname. According to your answer the program would then have converted the author field to the new multi-value display. (The reason for the new multi-value display is that it allows certain features of the program more power like the Statistics and filter searches which can now be done on just one author instead of all authors listed for an entry. It also homogenizes the display for Doghouse contributions. Sorting was always possible on first or last name, depending on preference. Just hold down the Option key while sorting the column to flip between the two options.)

If you just updated to version 5 and haven't done any work in it yet, simply delete the Database.bookpd file while Bookpedia is not running and then restart the program. That'll force Bookpedia to create another copy of your old Database.pediadata file from version 4 and update it again so you'll be able to select the correct author listing.

If you have already added a lot of entries to version 5, export those entries you've added/edited since the update in .bookpedia format (the "Date Added" and "Date Modified" columns will help you find the entries quickly) before forcing the re-update of the file. After it's done, import the .bookpedia file to bring those entries back into Bookpedia.

You will find the Bookpedia data folder located in your Home folder under ~/Library/Application Support/Bookpedia/Database.bookpd. If you're on Lion, it hides the Library folder by default so to go to your Bookpedia data folder you have to use the Finder's 'Go' menu, select 'Go to Folder' and copy paste ~/Library/Application Support/Bookpedia into the window that appears.
gilbertdh
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by gilbertdh »

Sorry, I neglected to say that I'm using CDpedia and the field that is messed up is the Composer field. I actually tried what you suggested having the database rebuilt, but CDpedia didn't ask me any questions about how I wanted names treated. Is there a fix for my Composer names?

Thank you,
David
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

In that case please send us your Database.cdpd file and we'll fix the composers for you here. You'll find our email on the support page.

By default the CDpedia folder is located in your Home folder under ~/Library/Application Support/CDpedia/Database.cdpd. If you're on Lion, it hides the Library folder by default so to go to your CDpedia data folder you have to use the Finder's 'Go' menu, select 'Go to Folder' and copy paste ~/Library/Application Support/CDpedia into the window that appears.