Meet the Doghouse

A place for Doghouse related posts.
Nora
Site Admin

Meet the Doghouse

Post by Nora »

Doghouse is the Pedias' all new and shiny user-contributed database. It's been a long time in the making and we hope that many of you will be as excited as we are about this project and help us grow the site for all Pedia users. If you want to learn a bit more about the database and how it works, take a look at this blog post.

This new forum is specifically for questions regarding Doghouse. Report entries that need moderating (if you are not a moderator yourself) and suggest enhancements for handling data. Moderators: use it as a place to swap tips or ask questions.

Doghouse is still very much a puppy (sorry, couldn't resist :)) but it's grown by leaps and bounds in the last week alone with information in all sorts of languages and includes some wonderfully obscure titles that you would be hard pressed to find in other databases. (Experimental Polish documentaries anyone?) But we understand that not everyone is looking for those types of entries on a daily basis and we're working hard especially on improving the barcode scanner search results. Since many sites, apart from Amazon, focus more on the actual information about an item instead of the sale of said item, UPCs are usually not high on the list of data included. But with your help and your contributions that'll be the bridge that Doghouse will provide in the future.
inthemood
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Re: Meet the Doghouse

Post by inthemood »

Hi,

I am trying to contribute my collection of bones (sorry, couldn't resist :D ) to the dog house, but every time I try, the contribution process freezes after a few (sometimes 10, sometimes 70) "bones" and then, DVDpedia has to be forced to quit before I can do it again.
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

Could you have a look at your console log, see if there are any messages from DVDpedia? You can access the console log via the application 'Console', located inside your Applications/Utilities. The newer messages are towards the end of the log.
inthemood
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by inthemood »

Thank you for answering.

No, in the console, there are no messages concerning DVDpedia when I contribute to doghouse. Should I try barking at the computer (sorry, couldn't resist :D )
inthemood
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by inthemood »

I tried again to contribute this morning and 60 "bones" were shared. The total of potential contributions goes down every time by the amount that managed to get contributed the time before, so hopefully, little by little, the collection will, over time, be contributed. Still, it's a little strange that the process should get randomly interrupted like that. Still nothing in the console that could explain the phenomenon.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

"Bones" I like it. They should have had "bone tags" instead of "dog tags". Interesting that there is no error in the console log. If it happens do try a sample from Activity Monitor. It might give me a clue as to where to look to make sure everything is okay. To capture a sample open Activity Monitor select DVDpedia and then hit the "Sample" toolbar button after a few seconds a new window shows up with the sample that you can then "save as" to a file or copy paste into an email.
phule92
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by phule92 »

Nora wrote:Doghouse is the Pedias' all new and shiny user-contributed database. It's been a long time in the making and we hope that many of you will be as excited as we are about this project and help us grow the site for all Pedia users. If you want to learn a bit more about the database and how it works, take a look at this blog post.

[snip]

contributions that'll be the bridge that Doghouse will provide in the future.
What's the maximum number of characters accepted for a password in Doghouse?
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Tested to a thousand characters, with no theoretical limit to the password. I am sure there is a limit with some of the protocols we are using but I am sure they are in the megs. So use a large a password as you would like.