reverting from 5.0 (bad) to 4.68 (good)

Talk to other Pedia users about the programs, share tricks and tips or ask questions about existing features.
gilbertdh
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

reverting from 5.0 (bad) to 4.68 (good)

Post by gilbertdh »

I want to revert to CDPedia 4.68 since splitting up fields on the comma has destroyed my database, my smart collections, and my web export.

Could you post detailed instructions on how to do this?

Thanks,
David
Nora
Site Admin

Re: reverting from 5.0 (bad) to 4.68 (good)

Post by Nora »

Sure, you're welcome to return to version 4.6.8. if you'd prefer. You can download that version here.

Make sure after you downgrade to version 4.6.8 you delete the data file for version 5 (Database.cdpd) so that if you ever do decide to update, the program will be forced to do this from your 4.6.8 file. You will find the file in the CDpedia data folder, located in your Home folder under ~/Library/Application Support/CDpedia

If you're on Lion, it hides the Library folder by default so to go to your CDpedia data folder you have to use the Finder's 'Go' menu, select 'Go to Folder' and copy paste ~/Library/Application Support/CDpedia into the window that appears.
nimue1976
Inductee
Inductee

Post by nimue1976 »

hello

same problem here with dvdpedia. it disrupted my whole collection. why did you left the option out to choose where to search for the results? a real disapointment even in the older versions where the saving options. it's pretty hard to choose, where the database should save. my old computer crashed and I had to reinstall dvdpedia. since then it's a total mess. I have to pay for version 5 - but not if I have less comfort and usage for it. is there a link for an older version too? I'm on lions so I hope it works there too. I really like dvdpedia, but not this way.

thanks nimue
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

why did you left the option out to choose where to search for the results?
The option to choose a particular search site is still there. Click on the little magnifying glass in the search field and select the site you want to use. Also, make sure you check only those sites you're interested in under the Preferences/Sites tab for the 'All' search.
Also please do take a minute to read this blog post about the new search in version 5.
a real disapointment even in the older versions where the saving options
I'm not sure what you're referring to here - you don't like the location where the database is located? It's by default in the Home folder under Library/Application Support/ which is where Apple asks developers to put supporting data files. If you'd like to move the folder though that's perfectly fine. Check out the Help file for more details on how to move the database.

Of course the upgrade is not mandatory. You're welcome to return to DVDpedia 4.6.8 (and receive a refund for the upgrade purchase).
gilbertdh
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by gilbertdh »

Thanks for this information. I've downgraded to 4.68 so that my website and smart collections still work.

I donate my $12 upgrade cost to fund 5.x with the feature to allow a customer to chose whether they want the comma split or not!

Thanks again
David
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Thank you David, that is very kind of you. Will be sure to drop you a message if that becomes possible.
DRL
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by DRL »

I have dithered about upgrading from my present CDpedia 4.6.5 to the new one, because I have sensed that there are problems, particularly over the loss of Amazon searches. I am delighted with CDpedia and have been from the first day I used it; apart from occasional gobbledegook, when getting details about CDs which involve a lot of foreign accents (easily corrected manually), I have absolutely no complaints.

Can you confirm that it's OK to stick with 4.6.5? Or will problems arise in the future? I do not want to risk upsetting the perfect record of all my CDs! I know we can register with Amazon; but wouldn't that involve giving them all sorts of info which they could then use as they wish? I NEVER buy anything from Amazon, thinking it's developing into a dangerous monopolistic "shop" and doing others out of business - so they do not know that I exist and I want to keep it that way!

(I am half-thinking of trying DVDpedia sometime. I imagine this is completely independent of CDpedia, so, if I use the new version of that, my CDpedia 4.6.5 will be unaffected. Can you confirm?)

Thanks for your help.
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

Sure, it's no problem if you want to stick with version 4. Although you should update to 4.6.8, the last stable version before the 5.0 release. CDpedia 4.6.8 download.

In Version 5 the only thing that's changed is that the Amazon search works by sign up from the user now instead of from the program. If you don't have an Amazon account then you would have to sign up for one. (Of course if you're not interested in searching Amazon or do not want to sign up for an account on their site there are also several other search sites included in version 5 that aren't part of version 4 such as Doghouse, MusicBrainz, Wikipedia and Freebase. All open and user-contributed databases.)
You can try version 5 out without any obligation too. After you download it you'll be able to run it up to 5 times before it asks for a new serial number. If at that point you decide that you'd rather return to version 4, you can simply go back to that version. (Just make sure after you downgrade you delete the data file for version 5 (Database.cdpd) so that if you ever do decide to update in the future, the program will be forced to do this from your 4.6.8 file. You will find the file in the CDpedia data folder, located in your Home folder under ~/Library/Application Support/CDpedia. If you're on Lion, it hides the Library folder by default so to go to your CDpedia data folder you have to use the Finder's 'Go' menu, select 'Go to Folder' and copy paste ~/Library/Application Support/CDpedia into the window that appears.)

DVDpedia is an independent app from CDpedia, yes. They share a lot of similarities in features so the program wouldn't be hard to get into since you already know CDpedia.
DRL
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by DRL »

Thanks, Nora. I have moved up to 4.6.8, as you suggested. As for the rest of your answer, I will examine it closely and get back to you. Thanks, as ever, for your quick reply.