Searching/tagging books: type vs. format

Tell us about your wildest feature dreams. Or just harmless suggestions for improvement.
vanderdecker
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Searching/tagging books: type vs. format

Post by vanderdecker »

I'm dealing with Bookpedia 4.6.8, so apologies if this is in 5.x

Right now, we can still only list ebooks as a single Format--at least, that field can't handle multiple, separate formats.

However, if you drop a links to ebook files onto the Links pane, it lists each format separately: lit, pdf, epub, and so on, under Type. Right now, the clumsy solution I see it to give all such ebooks an "E-Book" format, then have the individual (actual) formats in the Links pane.

However, I can't then search for the Type. What if I want to find all pdf format works? Can't, as far as I can tell.
Nora
Site Admin

Re: Searching/tagging books: type vs. format

Post by Nora »

You can add multiple formats to the format field (separated by a comma or whatever you'd prefer). Although what might be a better solution as far as I can tell from your explanation would be to use just 'eBook' as the format and then build smart collections such as the following "Any Link Type contains PDF" to get all the entries with PDFs linked to them or "Any Link Type contains ePub" for all ePub books.
vanderdecker
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by vanderdecker »

Nora wrote:You can add multiple formats to the format field (separated by a comma or whatever you'd prefer). Although what might be a better solution as far as I can tell from your explanation would be to use just 'eBook' as the format and then build smart collections such as the following "Any Link Type contains PDF" to get all the entries with PDFs linked to them or "Any Link Type contains ePub" for all ePub books.
But would there be a way to search for those that I *only* have in PDF? That's what I've been trying to do: identify those I only have in PDF in order to try to create alternates.

PDFs are a bit of a kludge with the Kindle, so I'm trying to replace them all.
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

Then you set the smart collection up as "Any Link Type is PDF". That'll include those entries that only have a PDF link, no other format.