DVDpedia: Collection View Preferences

Tell us about your wildest feature dreams. Or just harmless suggestions for improvement.
joel
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

DVDpedia: Collection View Preferences

Post by joel »

I like that each collection retains the View mode and sort order.

It makes the feature more useful than just a simple election of records.

I would to add a couple of other options:
1- Display the sort order in the toolbar. It can be hard to determine the sort order when in Grid View, and will save lots of time switching back and forth to the list view to check the sort order. This may also be useful in the other views to show multiple levels of the current sort.

2- Remember the Grid View scale size setting. This can optimize the view of collections of various sizes.
Conor
Top Dog

Re: DVDpedia: Collection View Preferences

Post by Conor »

1. Thank you for the feedback about being able to see the sort order in grid view. I'll consider it for the next version.

2. Each collection will remember it's grid cover size. If this is not happening do let me know more details to reproduce.
adamhh
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by adamhh »

I'm having a problem with sorts in list view. It used to be that sort orders would be remembered; ie If I clicked on three column headers 1, 2, 3. The records would be be displayed alphabetically primarily by 3, then 2 then 1. This isn't happening anymore. It's frustrating, when I want to see films displaying by 'Directer' then 'Theatrical Release' in list view.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Thank you for letting me know about the sort. It's now fixed; it was an overlook on my part on possible combinations of sorting with the last name. See this post for more details and the links to the betas.
joel
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by joel »

Conor wrote: 2. Each collection will remember it's grid cover size. If this is not happening do let me know more details to reproduce.
I am not seeing this.

I set the grid size, switch to another collection, and the grid view has that size.

All collections have the same (whatever was last set) cover size.

I am running the attest download (released a couple days ago).
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

What OS are you running? We've tried it on both 10.6.8 and 10.7.2 here and the grid size behaves as expected, i.e. it changes to whatever size we set for that collection. Of course the first time you select a collection it will have the same grid size as the last collection you selected since it doesn't have a setting yet. You're talking about the cover grid view, not the Cover Flow view, correct? (That does not change size when you switch collections.)
adamhh
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by adamhh »

Thanks for the fix Conor - and sorry for hijacking your thread Joel!
joel
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by joel »

Nora wrote:Of course the first time you select a collection it will have the same grid size as the last collection you selected since it doesn't have a setting yet.
This is what I was missing.

When I kept going back to test, I just happened to keep selecting collections that never had a custom setting.

I can confirm it is working as designed.

thanks.
joel
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by joel »

Regarding viewing the sort order in the toolbar:

One elegant way to do this would be to have a thin "sort bar" at the top of the window:
- you could add a field to to build a sort order.

- each field added to the "sort bar" would be surrounded by an oval bubble (but not blue like a tag, maybe a dark grey/light black color scheme)

- a small arrow would indicate ascending/descending sort

See the "view bar" in OmniFocus for visual design reference