Editing/Reporting wrong entries in database

A place for Doghouse related posts.
TanteSannie
Contributor
Contributor

Editing/Reporting wrong entries in database

Post by TanteSannie »

Is it possible to edit wrong entries in doghouse?

I found entries like that:

http://doghouse.bruji.com/movie/10610
http://doghouse.bruji.com/movie/11532
http://doghouse.bruji.com/movie/10894

Covers and a lot of data are wrong or incomplete. I am wondering how they could have been approved...
Nora
Site Admin

Re: Editing/Reporting wrong entries in database

Post by Nora »

Yes, of course you can help us fix those entries, thanks for asking. :) Start by signing up as a Doghouse moderator. Then check out the moderator style guide for some tips and also read the Help page on moderating Doghouse.
(I already fixed the entries you mentioned.)

As soon as an entry has been uploaded and indexed for search it is available for download, it does not have to await moderation first. (We do not have enough moderators at this point to make that an option.) With the release of 5.0 there was obviously a huge influx of data into Doghouse so we're a bit behind on moderating but we've also had a lot of people sign up to help so with time that'll balance itself out hopefully.
FineWine
Site Admin

Post by FineWine »

And if I may be so bold - but I have put together a Moderator Info View template designed especially for Moderators. It is a cut down template (code wise-no custom pref settings etc) but with the addition of some links to websites to specifically check & verify movie info.

If you know a bit about html you can add or delete your own sites, those that are relevant and specific to your country/region, within the templates html code and add your own buttons and links.

You can view and download it from here http://www.bruji.com/extras/moderator.html

Cheers
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

Yes, definitely! Sorry, forgot to mention that FineWine. :) The template is very useful for moderating. I've been using it the past few days and it's great to be able to click on all the links for quick checks.
FineWine
Site Admin

Post by FineWine »

Thanks Nora - Glad the Template is being found to be useful.

Happy New Year to ALL the pedia team.
TanteSannie
Contributor
Contributor

Post by TanteSannie »

Thanks for answering :)

@Nora: I've already signed as mod (Sannie). :)
But I can only edit the files in my "moderator new/approve" list, cant I?
So if I find a wrong file at doghouse-index-page it is not possible to fix this entry?

@FineWine: Wow thank you! The template is amazing. helps me a lot!
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

But I can only edit the files in my "moderator new/approve" list, cant I?
No you can edit other entries as well. If you see one by chance while doing a regular search you can actually edit it directly in the Add window of your Pedia program (without having to add the entry to one of your collections first) and then using the 'Mirror selection' command from the Doghouse menu to upload your corrections. If you see an entry on the Doghouse website that you want to edit, use the 'Add to *pedia' button at the top right of the page to open the entry in your Add/Edit window of the Pedia and you'll be able to edit it there, then use the 'Mirror selection' command to send it back up to Doghouse and close the Add/Edit window.

If you want to look up a specific entry by DogTag you can also do that by adding a question mark to the beginning of the DogTag. So for example "The Ladykillers" has DogTag number 3748. To search for that directly in DVDpedia you'd enter "?3748" into the search window. I don't know how useful that actually is for moderators (or other users) but we've been trying it out here for a while now and sometimes it does come in handy to be able to access a specific movie directly without having to do a search...
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

without having to add the entry to one of your collections first
Although this is true at the moment it requires the beta version of DVDpedia, but will be included in the upcoming regular version.
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

Woops, sorry about that. Working with the betas everyday I sometimes forget what's out already and what's not. :oops:
sitenoise
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by sitenoise »

I'm wondering, for example, how one might straighten out:

http://doghouse.bruji.com/movie/15030 (Shion Sono)

http://doghouse.bruji.com/movie/35854 (Sion Sono)
http://doghouse.bruji.com/movie/63075 (Sion Sono)

Sono uses "Shion" on his official Twitter account now, so I would assume that's the currently correct 'spelling'.

I worked for a while at contributing to IMDb but quickly threw in the towel trying to deal with changing romanizations (I think it's called) of Korean and Chinese names. Japanese romanizations have stayed pretty consistent over time. I think his is just a personal choice and not one handed down from the Ministry of Culture.

Along these lines, I'm wondering if there are plans to implement a hyperlinked 'filter search' on the Doghouse Website similar to the one in dvdpedia, so you could click on a director and see all the available titles by him or her.

ps - Also wondering if I'm just missing them, or if and where "Original Title" is being displayed. A search for "Jisatsu saakuru" the original title for Suicide Club/Suicide Circle doesn't return any matches.

pps - Doghouse Help says "The only personal data uploaded is your 'My Rating' info to add to the cumulative Doghouse rating of an entry." How does that work? I mean, if a Title already exists in the Doghouse, should I also 'contribute' it just to get my rating added or would that simply create another redundant entry? Is there a way to simply add your Rating to a Title?
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

That is a tough one as it's a matter of preference for the director. Alex is working on a moderator area that will allow for easier fixes in these cases as a name can be updated across all the movies at once, instead of having to moderate 3 movies.

I have updates Sion to Shion using this interface and hopefully it will be available soon for others.

Suicide Club did not have the original title information but I have added it now as well as updated the webpage to show the original title under the title in gray when present.

We do want to link all the items in the database for browsing and searching, but stopped implementing in the current PHP version of the page. Alex wants to update the entire interface to Rails in order to create these links in a easier manner as well as use paging and other techniques that in PHP have to be all done by hand. The current moderator section he is building uses Rails and has speed the development considerably.

Feel free to submit entries that already exist in Doghouse. Doghouse will match them based on title, or unique ID such as IMDb number and merge your rating with the current aggregate as well as add any missing field you have about the movie that are not yet in Doghouse. Like the Pedias it will not replace information already there, for that a moderation is required instead of a contribute.
sitenoise
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by sitenoise »

Sounds good. Go Alex.

As a design suggestion, and I can't believe I'm suggesting something design-wise from IMDb, but I do like the way they show the Original Title in a lighter gray and smaller font, and actually add "(original title)" to it.

A curiosity (and this is a big can of worms) ... if I search for "Shion Sono" and "Sono Shion", Doghouse appears to return the same 16 results. But dual searches for "Zhang Yimou" and "Yimou Zhang" don't. Re: the latter search, they both return 25 results but, for example, http://doghouse.bruji.com/movie/102219 "Under the Hawthorn Tree" is in "Yimou Zhang" but not "Zhang Yimou". I dunno what's happening there.

And not to sound too pessimistic, but Chinese name issues are a walk in the park compared to Korean names ... depending on where they are sourced from.
sitenoise
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by sitenoise »

It appears you have a 25 count limit on search results?
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

Yes, the results get delivered in batches of 25 for Doghouse. (This depends on each site.) If the entry you're looking for isn't in the first 25 results, click on the 'More results' button in the drawer to bring up more.
sitenoise
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by sitenoise »

Nora wrote:Yes, the results get delivered in batches of 25 for Doghouse. (This depends on each site.) If the entry you're looking for isn't in the first 25 results, click on the 'More results' button in the drawer to bring up more.
Drawer? What Drawer? I don't have any drawer.

Ha! If I can find the drawer it will explain more than one of my posts here.

I'm not kidding.