updating broke everything

Any trouble you encounter with the Pedias, here's the place to ask for help.
Pasicci
Contributor
Contributor

updating broke everything

Post by Pasicci »

updated to 5.0.3 after buying the upgrade cost

now all pictures from approx the last year are GONE, it refuses to synch my new pictures, even after cleaning out, still the same
pics that were previously on my iphone/ipad

setup is a iphone 4 with latest IOS, same shit happens on my ipad, also latest IOS

on a side note, WHEN is pocketpedia coming???? it's been years since the last version got pulled by amazon, we AS PAYING CUSTOMERS do deserve some sort of maintenance, I got ur crap programs to get my collections on my mobile, but now all I see is failure, utter failure

and before some of you start dissing on me, I expect a certain service when I pay for a program, nothing more
Pasicci
Contributor
Contributor

Re: updating broke everything

Post by Pasicci »

another thing I just noticed, several movies now appear to feature Will smith... I dont even own one of his movies, I am into asian movies ^^

#fubar
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

Can you please be a bit more specific? The cover images are gone from where, Pocketpedia or DVDpedia? We haven't changed anything in the way the sync with the older versions of Pocketpedia works. Which version of the program do you have, 1 or 2? Try holding down Option key on the Mac while you tap the Sync button in Pocketpedia to force the program to do a clean sync of all your data.

I have no idea how Will Smith would have suddenly added himself into your database and I'm fairly sure the program wouldn't have done that arbitrarily. Did you do any batch updates for your database (i.e. used the Movie > Update from command)? Since that feature automatically downloads the first result returned from the chosen site, it can happen that the wrong information is added, especially for titles with very common words in the title or sequels. Unless you're using a site where you already have an identifying number such as the IMDb number for IMDb, ASIN for Amazon or DogTag for Doghouse, it's usually a better idea to update information using the gear button in the Add/Edit window since you can select the correct result if there's more than one returned.

Pocketpedia3 will be a universal app and the iPhone version is currently in beta testing. We're still working on getting the iPad version ready for testing but should be there soon. Since there are only three of us here at Bruji and Conor is the only programmer there are only so many things we can do in a day. We know that everyone is anxious to get Pocketpedia back and we can't wait to get it out to the App Store again either. But that doesn't mean we're going to rush and put out a half-finished program.
I got ur crap programs to get my collections on my mobile, but now all I see is failure, utter failure
Since you are obviously not happy with our work or our programs you're welcome to get a refund for the upgrade, just let me know.
Pasicci
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Pasicci »

you have been promising "should be there soon" since last year... does not sound "promising" at all to me :roll:

I add almost all my movies manually, because quite a few of my requirements are not met by default, I want the actors to be listed with their full name, not the "short one", my wife is asian and doesn't know all their alternative names
eg Sammo Hung Kam-bo (full) instead of Sammo Hung (US)
If i don't do this, my stats page is not correct, so I put in the extra work, and it makes it easier for both of us to search for an actor/actress

Only the UK releases of asian movies are not added manually, but I do edit the actors to be conform my own method.

My problems clearly appear on dvdpedia, i have pocketpedia2, I found that the program changed a few covers as well, I suddenly had Men in Black under 4891670140884, but this is the Hong Kong DVD of "An Orphan's tragedy", the movie starring a child actor named Bruce Lee (yes, that same Bruce Lee, he did more than those 5 movies everyone knows)
It's a black/white movie from 1955, which is about 10/15 years before Will smith was even born.

This happened to 28 entries, adding Will smith to all 28, changing its cover image to Men in Black.
They are NOT batch updated, not all together in a smart list or so, dvdpedia updated and this happened.

My wife is on a business trip to Hong Kong right now and she confirmed it overnight, on her ipad, no mistakes. No will smith, normal covers on all...
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

It would have been impossible for DVDpedia to add that information to the movie during the update. If something goes wrong doing the migration it would be conceivable that DVDpedia could mix movie information but not create new names. DVDpedia does no update without user interaction so it would have been unable to get any information from online.

Please send me both your old datafile and your new datafile located in your home folder at ~/Library/Application Support/DVDpedia. The files are called Database.dvdpd and Database.pediadata. Select them both and use the compress command under the file menu to create a Archive.zip that you can then [url-http://www.bruji.com/support]email to us[/url]. With these files I'll be able to run the update here on your file and make sure everything is migrated as it's supposed to be and compare it to the current file and hopefully might be able to find out where the new information came from.

Under Lion you need to hold down the option key and click on the "Go" menu in the Finder in order to see your library folder.
Pasicci
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Pasicci »

already updated and fixed everything last night...

I dont keep backups because pocketpedia is on a total of 5 devices, all synched as soon as possible when new additions are made
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

In that case let us know if you should come across the problem again.