PocketPedia

Tell us about your wildest feature dreams. Or just harmless suggestions for improvement.
newTenchi
Inductee
Inductee

PocketPedia

Post by newTenchi »

It would not be possible to have a version of PocketPedia, to synchronize data DVD or Game Pedia Pedia with the iphone, iphone or ipod touch, sync only, without violating any agreement, such as amazon sucres.

I love DVD Pedia, and I would love to have my library on the iphone, or even an android, I think it would be great.
Nora
Site Admin

Re: PocketPedia

Post by Nora »

We're working on it.
Spad
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Spad »

I love the Pedias and use all other than GamePedia. It seems to be taking forever to get an iOS app. Surely an app that allows us to simply export our libraries to our iPhones and iPads with no capabilities other than searching our own libraries can't be too difficult or intrude on anyone else's turf. Has there been any progress at all in this direction? Again, I'm not speaking of a full-blown, full-featured version, simply a read only app.
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

It's not as simple as that unfortunately since the Pedias up until version 4.6.8 were focused very much on retrieving data from Amazon. Amazon in turn prohibits their data to be displayed on mobile devices, i.e. your iPhone or iPad. Even if it's just 'read only'.

So we had to first de-couple the apps from Amazon (that's what version 5 and the Doghouse did) and since then we've been working on bringing Pocketpedia back. It's a universal app, currently in beta testing, and hopefully it'll be ready for the App Store soon.

In the meantime, if you just want a listing of your entries on the iPhone there are several options listed in this blog post and another handy idea brought forth by one of our users in this thread.
chinarider

Post by chinarider »

I agree with Spad 100%. It's been OVER 2 YEARS since the pedias had an iPhone app. All I want is simply to have a copy of my library on my iPhone/iPod Touch. The alternatives you offer are cumbersome and unacceptable - you want me to jump through hoops to upload my collection to a server?!? And I have to do this every time I add a new CD?!? I don't even know what a server is. I just want to turn on my iPhone and have an easily searchable, updated CD/DVDpedia available. I've switched to Bento for my music collection and DVD Hunter for my movies. DVD Hunter is free and easy to use AND HAS AN iPHONE APP. Bento is a bit a pain as it doesn't sync with iTunes, BUT IT HAS AN iPHONE APP (which makes it better than CDpedia) so I'll figure out a way to make it work. 27 months without an iPhone app is a joke and a disgrace - you're the ones who should be in the doghouse.
srogers
Contributor
Contributor

Post by srogers »

chinarider wrote: you're the ones who should be in the doghouse.
It's been made abundantly clear that the issue lies with Amazon's rules for the use of data from their API, so that's really a retarded take on the situation. I hate loosing the Amazon data - that was really convenient. But it will be nice to have a mobile version.
FineWine
Site Admin

Post by FineWine »

chinarider wrote:I agree with Spad 100%. It's been OVER 2 YEARS since the pedias had an iPhone app.
....27 months without an iPhone app is a joke and a disgrace - you're the ones who should be in the doghouse.
Please be patient. Bruji is really just TWO people; husband and wife team Conor & Nora, with Conor doing all the coding for all four programs as well as fixing user discovered bugs and keeping up to date with the reference sites API's. And not forgetting Alex who runs the website.

Whilst doing all of that they are trying to PERFECT Pocketpedia which is in Beta testing right now - I am one of the testers and it is a great App. Three of the reasons it has taken so long: is Amazons bloody mindedness, then we have Apples strict compliance regulations, BUT more importantly, is that Conor and Nora want to get this App "RIGHT" from the start as each submission to Apple can be a lengthy process and besides who wants a 'half-arsed' App anyway.

How they make a living from these excellent products at the great price they charge for them and for the very long hours they spend on them, I do not know. I am a member of a great number of Apple and Apple related product forums and have never come across a product forum like this one, where, not only do you get just about instant replies to queries but also instant updates to product bugs. You should read the Logitech forums concerning their Harmony remotes software and not being able to run on Lion properly http://forums.logitech.com/t5/Harmony-R ... d-p/420435 or the Mac version of Skype and all versions later than 2.8 http://community.skype.com/t5/Mac/POST- ... d-p/134512

SO PLEASE BE PATIENT - all things good come to those who wait patiently.
scooter64
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by scooter64 »

@FineWine

I am so glad you came on board here to add your comments, and I couldn't agree with you more!

Conor and Nora are simply amazing, and I've been using DVDpedia and Pocketpedia for years. Their tech support service is exceptional, usually responding with a solution within hours!

Where else can you find this sort of dedication to service?

I'm also a Pocketpedia3 beta tester, and I can say it will be worth the wait. As I understand, an iPad version has also complicated the process of releasing pocketpedia.

Some [negative] people come on here and spout off, and it's obvious they don't know what they're talking about.

Keep up the great work Conor, Nora and Alex!

Regards,

Scott
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Thank you for the support FineWine and Scooter.

I believed that the post did not require a follow up. I thought Nora was clear on all the issues we faced and why it has taken this long. But I was wrong, so to clarify, it's been an incredible amount of work. Especially the Doghouse, it has been a whole new service that we never before had to build and maintain. It has taken research, investment and a lot of coding. I knew from the beginning that I could not tackle that job on my own. We hired our first employee, Alex, with extensive knowledge on database and servers and it's been a success. I have learned a lot from him and I am still a relative amateur when it comes to some of the technologies we are now using such as Ruby. Our moderators and users have done an excellent job of helping us populate Doghouse and we thank them, and that is going to be an ongoing project for all. Doghouse has exceeded my expectation in every way and I am very happy we spend all the work and time on it. The Doghouse becomes the backend that makes the new Pocketpedia possible. Not only possible, but magical. The speed and response of Doghouse makes it seem like all the data has been stored on your iPad and is but a tap away.

Maintaining, upgrading and keeping the Pedias cutting edge is a big part of our workload and hence why I could not dedicate 100% solely to Pocketpedia. But in the last several months I have spent more and more time on the mobile development and everyday I realize what a joy it is to use Pocketpedia on the iPad. Working on the iPad version has broadened my belief that it's a truly revolutionary device. I now approach the iPad as a developer and the opportunities I see for Bruji are endless. SRogers is right that we could have built Pocketpedia faster, but then it would have been mediocre. I do apologize to all our users for the wait on Pocketpedia. I myself have been in a Bookstore thinking, "Where is Pocketpedia, it would be essential at this moment". But it would only be essential if it was the great app we envisioned, and the wait has been to make this so. Soon Pocketpedia will be available and hopefully all our users will also think it essential. The feedback from all the beta testers has been incredibly positive, especially now that we are so close to finishing the first release (which is really version 3, but lets not complicate matters).

No software is ever done, but the number of things that we want to expand on is large on all six projects we are working on. For one the Doghouse front end needs overhauling as to have links between entries and allow for a better browsing experience online. However, our focus is the Pedia users and hence why the latest work by Alex on that is happening on the Moderator side, in order to improve the experience of all those who have kindly given their time to help out. Pocketpedia will soon need full editing abilities. The Pedias are incredibly stable and mature, but even they have a list of 100 little features to work on.

The short version is that we are very happy with the work we have done and the position we are in. Most important we thank all our users who have upgraded in incredible numbers and support our small business. We hope it continues allowing us to realize all the hopes we have for all the Pedias, desktop or mobile.
FineWine
Site Admin

Post by FineWine »

Thank you Conor for your fuller explanation on the state of play with the iDevice versions of the Pedia's.

Though I only have an iPad 2nd generation, I can not wait to beta test it on that iDevice as well as the testing I am currently assisting with on the iPhone4. But I am sure that Pocketpedia is going to look absolutely gorgeous on an iPad 3rd generation retina display.

Well done Team :D

Cheers
Pasicci
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Pasicci »

well, I consider myself one of the impatient ones :)

what I wonder, as I havent read anything about it afaik, how will we be updated on a release of the app?

I check here almost daily, but all I read is "soon", which is becoming a drag in the end, I do get the point of wanting to get it right, but where is this "soon" leading us? are we talking days, weeks, months or years? one of the guys before me, I thought he made a very valid point, despite the amazon crap, he was right, a stripped down version just with basic info could have been done, at least I would think so

but most importantly, how will we get updated on the release?
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

how will we get updated on the release?
It will be a completely new app since the old Pocketpedia is not available in the App Store anymore. Will post the release announcement on our news section, blog, twitter, and send our mailing list to subscribers within probably two days of the release as well as send out a press release. So do sign up with your favorite medium to stay updated on Bruji news.
a stripped down version just with basic info could have been done, at least I would think so
As I explained previously, that was unfortunately not an option because of the Amazon restrictions. They don't allow their data to be transferred to mobile devices. It was never about the search on Amazon or providing links to their site, the problem they had with Pocketpedia was the data obtained in the Desktop Pedias from their website transferred to a mobile device.
Pasicci
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Pasicci »

glad to finally have pocketpedia back, even if we had to pay for it (again)

one remark, why did u chose such an ugly icon compared to the 2 previous ones?
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

The previous version of Pocketpedia was free so you didn't have to pay again. Sorry to hear you don't like our awesome logo. :)
Pasicci
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Pasicci »

The paying remark was directed at the pedias themselves, i use three of them and 1 was bought on the appstore, so afaik i cant bulk buy all three, which is a real setback financially. It may sound like i am nitpicking but i prefer to spend my money on other things, because this will be a recurring cost every time u guys decide we need to pay to upgrade

Now it cost me another few euros... For a great app sure, one I can not live without, but still... I think bruji has cost me around 80€ total now, u can consider it a compliment that i keep paying,!

I would however like a solution for the bundle thing, if that is possible?