Other/Original language titles (dvdpedia)

Tell us about your wildest feature dreams. Or just harmless suggestions for improvement.
Pasicci
Contributor
Contributor

Other/Original language titles (dvdpedia)

Post by Pasicci »

I am a big time collector of asian movies/animation and I add most of my titles manually because of the many special needs of my collection

I am running out of custom fields lately, so I would like to request a "Native title" field or even a few of them.
let me explain by using a japanese anime as example

in english, the anime is called Case closed, alternatively known as Detective Conan
in japanese (romanised) it's called meitantei conan
and there is the actual japanese writing for it. (名探偵コナン)
I am collecting this series in french, where it is called "Détective conan"
some chinese movies even have the simplified/traditional chinese writing problem, I fill in both if available
My collection counts a little over 3k dvds, I want it to be as precise and complete as possible, plus my chinese wife appreciates the effort, she doesn't always know the english title, but does usually know the original one.

I am using up almost all of my custom fields just for the titles, would very much appreciate it if some more specific fields could be added for this problem, I am quite sure a few others may have encountered this problem too :)
Conor
Top Dog

Re: Other/Original language titles (dvdpedia)

Post by Conor »

Thank you for the concrete examples. It makes it easy to understand our users needs with examples. I have added your request to our to do list for a major version (we never change the database structure without some serious beta testing cycles that are done on major releases only).
42Weeks
Contributor
Contributor

Post by 42Weeks »

Conor wrote:Thank you for the concrete examples. It makes it easy to understand our users needs with examples. I have added your request to our to do list for a major version (we never change the database structure without some serious beta testing cycles that are done on major releases only).
I come across the same issue, putting Japanese anime or any other foreign language films into the library is very difficult and inconvenient. I've seeked many apps for doing this and failed every time. As far as I see, DVDpedia is the most functional app, I'm deadly eager to see it can deal with different source languages.
Would you please tell us about your plans or future update?
I believe adding Amazon.co.jp and Wikipedia (in other languages) to datebase can certainly solve that.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Thank you for the feedback, we have no immediate plans for new Japanese data sources. However you can add Amazon Japan by signing up for a free Amazon Web Services account and enabling it under the Preferences- > Sites section. There is more information under the help button there.
42Weeks
Contributor
Contributor

Post by 42Weeks »

Conor wrote:Thank you for the feedback, we have no immediate plans for new Japanese data sources. However you can add Amazon Japan by signing up for a free Amazon Web Services account and enabling it under the Preferences- > Sites section. There is more information under the help button there.
Jeez, it's amazing, thanks!
BTW, is this amazon service all free?
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

BTW, is this amazon service all free?
Yes, it is completely free. However AWS includes many different services under its umbrella, including some that are paid such as backups on Amazon's servers. That is why they might ask for your credit card when you sign up for an AWS account. But the search feature that the Pedia programs use is 100% free.