sub folders

Talk to other Pedia users about the programs, share tricks and tips or ask questions about existing features.
mortond
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

sub folders

Post by mortond »

I have created a list of folders in the sidebar. By highlighting a newly created folder and right clicking and selecting "New collection from selection" I created a sub folder.
However, this sequence does not work when I try to create a sub folder of the sub folder.
Is it possible to create multiple sub, sub, sub folders?
If so how?
Thanks,
Conor
Top Dog

Re: sub folders

Post by Conor »

You can drag a folder onto another folder to create sub folders. I'll look at taking into account the current folder selection to automatically create a subfolder in order to avoid the extra step.
mortond
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by mortond »

Hi Conor,

I tried dragging folders onto one another, it will not work on my machine The folder overlays the destination folder but does not 'stick'
I also tried option drag and drop and every other key combination I could think of, no luck. They all produced an untitled folder in the main folder list, that also refused to 'mate' with another folder.
The only method that worked was the one I described and that only works to create a single sub folder. I need at least four.

2011 iMac running Lion now Mountain Lion. Mac Mini running Snow Leopard Server, Lion and now Mountain Lion. Drag & drop does not work on any version/machine.

Is there a preference I have missed and/or set wrong?

Thanks,
David
mortond
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by mortond »

PS
This is what I am trying to achieve:

CLASSIC MOVIES
AMERICAN
1SERIES (the 1 places it at the top of the listing)
STAR TREK
EPISODE 1
1915 Birth of a Nation
1936 Gone with the wind

BRITISH
1SERIES
MONTY PYTHON
EPISODE 1
FAWLYY TOWERS
EPISODE 1
THE SANDBAGGERS
EPISODE 1
1935 39 Steps
1953 The cruel sea
etc.

FRENCH
etc

Thanks
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Not sure what is different with your system as I can drag and drop as well as create folder in folders automatically on all four supported systems: 10.5 Leopard, 10.6 Snow Leopard, 10.7 Lion and 10.8 Mountain Lion. I'll do some Googling to see if I find anything that might point to the issue.
mortond
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by mortond »

I tried fresh download DVDP, stored it in UTILITIES, ran it with option key, created new database, tried to duplicate creating sub menus (my method) did not work in new installation.
Erased that!
In existing program I can drag and drop a sub folder in one parent folder and drop it into another parent folder but not within original parent folder.

Sorry about the the PS post the "submit button" is no respecter of the peoples right to format :-(
Add i, 2, 3 or 4 tabs to make sense.
mortond
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by mortond »

I think it is resolved!!

I erased all the iterations of DVDpedia and all it's dependent files.
Re-installed. Started a new database afresh. Created folders with "new folder' and then created sub folders with "new folder"
After folders were created I could then drag and drop folders where I wanted.

Hopefully, when I re-load my original database, everything will remain intact and I shall be able to transfer titles to my newly created folder structure.

Sorry to put you to any trouble, thank you.

David
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

If your not able to resolve via the new install and import, do send me your old database so I can try it out with that data. Although there should be no difference in behavior depending on the data. To drop a folder into the root folder you would drag it out over any of the other collections like "Library", all other drags have to be over the specific parent folder you would like to contain the folder.