Force Refresh

Tell us about your wildest feature dreams. Or just harmless suggestions for improvement.
Rigido
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Force Refresh

Post by Rigido »

Hi,
I'm still opening boxes and loading movies to DVDpedia.
Sometimes I find movies I already added but as something changed (my mind and IMDb plugin), so I noticed that there are some fields that changed their values from when first added until today (mostly awards and rating fields).
Is there a fast way to force refresh of selected fields? Could be an IMDb plugin option?

Ciao.
sjk
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Re: Force Refresh

Post by sjk »

Rigido wrote:Is there a fast way to force refresh of selected fields?
Fast or not, the only way (AFAIK) is to first remove the fields then use "Movie > Update from > …" under the main menu, or the gear menu in the edit window, to refresh them.
Rigido
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by Rigido »

sjk wrote:
Rigido wrote:Is there a fast way to force refresh of selected fields?
Fast or not, the only way (AFAIK) is to first remove the fields then use "Movie > Update from > …" under the main menu, or the gear menu in the edit window, to refresh them.
I knew that, that's why I talked about a "FORCE" refresh ;)
sjk
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by sjk »

Well… that is how to force a refresh, unless your definition of "force" is different than mine.
Rigido
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by Rigido »

sjk wrote:Well… that is how to force a refresh, unless your definition of "force" is different than mine.
DVDpedia always filled empty fields if chosen plug-in reported good values, but that's not a REFRESH.
For me a refresh is A SINGLE ACTION so the program will download values despite the field is filled or not.
I'm Italian, maybe my English could be not so good, but take a look at the Oxford Dictionary.

Sjk, I wrote 4 search plugins for DVDpedia and, thanks to FineWine, I did my own "HeadShot" detail template, I think to know how DVDpedia works ;)
If I wrote here maybe is because, right now, it is impossible to "overwrite" fields and that's what I'm searching and hoping Conor will add.

Conor, maybe you could add some options in the IMDB plugin config panel: "Always download: awards, rating, etc"

Peace. :D
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Thank you for the feedback on having DVDpedia update fields even if they already contain data. It's dangerous territory to allow as data can then get lost inadvertently with an update. There are is a wide range of users of DVDpedia and we have to consider what a new feature would affect all users. It's straight forward to be able to say that DVDpedia never losses data. Although it's unlikely to make it any time soon as currently I am firmly on the side of the fence that deleting and updating data should take two steps, I do value the feedback.
FineWine
Site Admin

Post by FineWine »

Rigido wrote: Conor, maybe you could add some options in the IMDB plugin config panel: "Always download: awards, rating, etc"
Conor wrote:Although it's unlikely to make it any time soon as currently I am firmly on the side of the fence that deleting and updating data should take two steps, I do value the feedback.
I actually like Rigido's idea but how about making it a general setting in the Sites Tab Preference panel, not just for IMDb, with a warning in red. BUT I also think a pop-up warning panel should occur each time that an "over-write" is about to occur with "Cancel" or "Ok" even if you have selected that "Over-Write" is permissible in the preference settings. This I think should be allowed not only on an individual item basis but also on a multi- selection basis as well, so that users can on, say, a monthly basis you can multi-select your entire data base and do an update on an Info site by site basis.

I am a great believer in "choice" and this gives users that choice. Also if users are stupid enough to not realise the consequences of their actions (for which today's young society is very guilty of) then it is their tough luck.
sjk
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by sjk »

Rigido wrote:DVDpedia always filled empty fields if chosen plug-in reported good values, but that's not a REFRESH.
For me a refresh is A SINGLE ACTION so the program will download values despite the field is filled or not.
I'm Italian, maybe my English could be not so good, but take a look at the Oxford Dictionary.
Your English is clearly superior to my non-existent Italian usage. :)

With this definition of refresh, which I was intending, the number of actions is irrelevant:

• revise or update

I was simply mentioning that refreshing/updating/revising DVDpedia field values is a multi-step operation, not realizing you were aware of that and considering it as a single-step action. Obviously I'm incapable of knowing and remembering what everyone knows about topics/issues on this and every other forum I post on. :)