BP: Integrating Editor and Author fields?

Tell us about your wildest feature dreams. Or just harmless suggestions for improvement.
elysdir
Contributor
Contributor

BP: Integrating Editor and Author fields?

Post by elysdir »

Related to my previous feature request:

I own a lot of anthologies, which I alphabetize by editor's last name instead of author's. But if I put the editor names in the Editor field, then when I sort my library by author, the anthologies don't get sorted with everything else.

So I'm wondering if there could be a special case for this: when I sort by author, for any book that doesn't have an author listed, could it use the editor field to sort instead? I could even imagine it displaying the contents of the editor field.

If there were an author-sort-by field, then I could do this manually, by putting the editor's last name in that field. But it would be nicer if the application would handle this automatically, behind the scenes.

But this too is a low-priority request. For now, I'm just putting all the editor names in the Author field, which works fine. It would just feel a little more elegant to me if I could explicitly distinguish between authors and editors while still retaining sorting.
Conor
Top Dog

Re: BP: Integrating Editor and Author fields?

Post by Conor »

This is definitely a case were the "author sort" field would be the correct solution. About twice a year I wonder why it was that we did not include a sort author field in the last big update. I shall put on the to re evaluate for the next big update.