Some CDpedia ideas

Tell us about your wildest feature dreams. Or just harmless suggestions for improvement.
Waldbaer
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Some CDpedia ideas

Post by Waldbaer »

Hi,
I'm now using CDpedia for some days extensively to add my albums and wrote down some ideas for small, but (as far as I see it) significant improvements:
1. Drag&drop iTunes titles (track list and library to add albums). I'd especially like this for the track lists, because those often get downloaded incompletely (e.g. I insist to at least get the titles and track lengths, also for the album length). Adding the iTunes track to a special playlist, add that playlist, open its edit window, copy, close, go back to the destination window and finally paste is just a quite annoyingly long workflow. Just Copy & paste from iTunes does not work, too, because CDpedia does not get the columns right.
2. Artist as keywords field. Or maybe a different field for the complete cast as keywords. Especially with classical albums, the current state is a problem. Normally, the artist(s) is (are) interesting, but often it's very many (with greater works, e.g. masses: orchestra, chorus and different soloists) and the order is not that important, but auto-completion would help to build up a consistent pool of artists. Also, the statistics would make much more sense, since there quite surely won't be another album with exactly the same cast, but maybe several including e.g. the London Symphony Orchestra. And by the way, are "sorting artists" also synchronized to/from doghouse? Because probably most people will sort their classical albums (different than e.g. pop) not by artist, but mostly by composer.
3. Dragging ratings (done, 5.3.1+) I use halfstars in iTunes. Your double-click-solution is actually much more convenient than iTunes millimeters-click-operation, but the last one teached me to always drag ratings. If I do this in CDpedia, half and full stars will interchange uselessly fast (in other words: it does not work). Maybe you could adjust the behaviour for people who are used to dragging ratings, since it shouldn't effect the clicking option (which is great, as I said).

Thanks for your answers!
Last edited by Waldbaer on Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Conor
Top Dog

Re: Some CDpedia ideas

Post by Conor »

1. Will have to explore in depth and see if it's possible. iTunes is quite picky about the information it provides on a drag and there might not be enough to identify the track.

2. The original launch of CDpedia 4 had artist as a keyword field, but there are too many artist that used a comma as part of their name(10,000 Maniacs, Crosby, Stills & Nash). Although we tried to manage the common ones at first, it proved to complicated to always catch the exception to our standard comma keyword separator.

3. I had never even considered dragging it on the Mac, only in iOS for Pocketpedia. It's been updated in the beta version and ready for the next version.
Waldbaer
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Re: Some CDpedia ideas

Post by Waldbaer »

1. At least the finder gets the files from it, so I think it should be possible to take the files from the drag and then the corresponding fields from the files or iTunes.xml. I don't know the details of course...

2. Hm, I understand the problem. Maybe you can add a function to escape commas while editing (e.g. the usual "\," would not break the keyword, but the (Back)slash would only show up while editing). Other keyword fields could use this as well and make the artists (as explained) much more useable.

3. Wow, sometimes you are really unbelievably fast (with small things of course, but nevertheless). That's why I'm "addicted to Bruji". :D