Web site layout

Tell us about your wildest feature dreams. Or just harmless suggestions for improvement.
FineWine
Site Admin

Web site layout

Post by FineWine »

Hi to you all

Love the new Global Search box on the Forum site however from an iPad usage point there is not enough delineating gab between the 'Board index' row and the search box itself. On the iPad the small gab makes it hard to not touch the search box when trying to touch the words above. I have big fingers. Perhaps the same spacing is required as there is below the search box and above the Board index row.

Cheers - I hope Alex and family are having a really great vacation, he deserves it. :D
Conor
Top Dog

Re: Web site layout

Post by Conor »

I concur about the spacing needing to be larger. It would also not be an issue if Alex had made it smaller and on the right hand side of the bar. But he believes in bold is beautiful as well as complaining that on the iPad and iPhone it does not really fit on the right hand side. I would also make the box slightly thinner as it's should be less prominent than the menus.

Thank you for the feedback, we will have to wait for Alex to get back from vacation and hope he reads our suggestions.
Alex
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by Alex »

Hi guys, I'm a little confused as to what we're talking about here, on my iPad, the Global Search is all the way to the right, nowehere near the Board Index link. Here's an image:

Please let me know what I'm missing, preferably with an image so I can see it.

Thanks.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

You did some secret magic as it now looks the same for me. Before it was all the way across under the secondary menu.
Alex
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by Alex »

Conor wrote:You did some secret magic as it now looks the same for me. Before it was all the way across under the secondary menu.
I believe this could have been Safari's caching which is extremly aggressive. I often have problems with it and have to force a reload. Though I don't know any easy way to do it on the iPad.
FineWine
Site Admin

Post by FineWine »

Hi Alex - yes all is good now. The search box is to the right now on my iPad same as it is on my iPhone.

Thanks
FineWine
Site Admin

Post by FineWine »

Oops - no all is not good.

This in Firefox and Safari for desktop.
Alex
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by Alex »

This is definitely not right. Let me look at what might be causing this.

Sadly, I cannot reproduce this on any device or browser, is anyone else seeing this problem?

Finewine, have you tried holding down Shift while reloading the page to force a reload of the assets? Failing that, remving the cache and then Shift-reload again?
FineWine
Site Admin

Post by FineWine »

Huston we have lift off - all is as it should be. Though I did nothing my end.

One thing I have noticed for a couple of versions of FF & Nightly is that if the load time is slow, properly due to my ADSL only connection, then the page loads all the text first down the left side, then the layout, then the images last.

I have ordered Fibre Optic to be installed to our house but that is going to take several weeks as they have to drill 37.5 mtrs along and under the driveway then blow the optic cable through to the ENT point, then conduit up and into the roof space across and down into the lounge to the ONT box. Then hopefully we will have speeds of 30mb/s down and 10mb/s up.

When we have Ultra Fast Broadband (UFB) connected hopefully I will have none of these page loading problems.

Cheers