Pocketpedia: Play button

Tell us about your wildest feature dreams. Or just harmless suggestions for improvement.
samu-mac
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Pocketpedia: Play button

Post by samu-mac »

Hello,

with this i would like to refresh the request of 2012.

I would also to quote two post of another discussion:
dadux wrote:
I would love to be able to play movies linked to DVDPedia from PocketPedia!

Thanks for all your work!
D
Ted wrote:
Not sure if you mean streaming movies to the iOS device, or using PocketPedia as a remote for DVDPedia to play movies on your Mac. If it is the second, I would strongly support it -- yes there are iOS remotes that will work with DVDPedia, but why switch to another program. And adding remote functionality to PocketPedia can't be all that incredibly hard.

With the demise of Front Row, having PocketPedia be your one stop Mac home theater remote would be a great thing indeed, making the arraignment very user friendly.

On the other hand streaming video Mac to iOS is a much thornier problem. iTunes does it with videos imported in iTunes (H.264 format), and programs like Air Video do it for a few other formats with live transcoding to H.264 or .mp4 on the Mac side, but I am not aware of a single program that will stream VIDEO_TS or .DVDmedia from Mac to iOS. I would guess that is the most common format that DVDpedia is used to link to on OS X. I wouldn't say that it is impossible to do, but judging by the amount of time and CPU required by Handbreak to transcode VIDEO_TS to H.264 it isn't practical, not with current generation of CPUs.

So far as AirPlay, for video it strictly goes from iOS or OS X to AppleTV so I don't think it can be of much help.
Is there any chance to have this functionality implemented so far?

Would be really nice to be able to chose and "PLAY" from your iphone a movie in your MAC (Connected to a giant TV :D )

Thanks so far
Conor
Top Dog

Re: Pocketpedia: Play button

Post by Conor »

Using Pocketpedia as a remote to DVDpedia is still on the to do list, but over shadow by a number of updates being currently done for Yosemite as well as some other features. Part of the reason it has not been implemented yet, is that many features are easier to integrate with the next major version that will no longer need to support 10.5.
samu-mac
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by samu-mac »

Conor wrote:Using Pocketpedia as a remote to DVDpedia is still on the to do list, but over shadow by a number of updates being currently done for Yosemite as well as some other features. Part of the reason it has not been implemented yet, is that many features are easier to integrate with the next major version that will no longer need to support 10.5.
Hello Conor,

thanks for the update!

Keep going with your sturdy work :)

Cheers
BruceV
Inductee
Inductee

Post by BruceV »

FEATURE request:
It would be great to use pocketpedia as a remote for DVDPedia to play movies on my Mac mini.
When will PocketPedia get a play button? :)
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Hi Bruce,

No fixed date for the feature.