Issues with latest update

Any trouble you encounter with the Pedias, here's the place to ask for help.
papaschmitty

Issues with latest update

Post by papaschmitty »

I am using DVD Pedia version 5.4.0 on a Mac with Yosemite 10.10.1. I can no longer use my isight to enter items. Also when I search for a blu-ray by typing in the title there is 90% chance that it will not find what I am looking for. But if I look up the ASIN number on amazon and type it in, it will find it 99% of the time. This is beyond frustrating. For instance if I type in "Here comes the Boom" it will find the DVD but the bluray is not listed at all. If I type in the ASIN then it goes straight to the blu-ray. What gives?
Conor
Top Dog

Re: Issues with latest update

Post by Conor »

What Mac model do you have so I can look at the iSight change. With version 5.4 it was updated to a new 64-bit Apple capture framework. You can obtain the old be behavior by selecting DVDpedia in your Finder and choosing "Get Info", check the box that say "Open in 32-bit mode".

Thank you for the example. Amazon's default broad search although delivers lots of results is geared more towards the current top sellers. Do select "Aamzon" from under magnifying glass and then you can change the search setting for Amazon to "title" search. This will make sure to limit the search terms to appearing in the title. You can even add "Blu-ray" to the search term to get only the Blu-ray result. But in both cases with "Here comes the Boom" only I was able to get the Blu-ray version listed after the DVD version. Doghouse search will let you limit by Blu-ray but shouldn't be necessary for most searches.

Search by ASIN is more accurate as it has a unique identifier and does not rely on the Amazon API search algorithm to come up with the correct result. As a shortcut you can drag and drop the URL from Safari over the DVDpedia dock to trigger the search by ASIN quickly for that specific item.