Bookpedia - Change Wikipedia settings

Any trouble you encounter with the Pedias, here's the place to ask for help.
birdack81
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Bookpedia - Change Wikipedia settings

Post by birdack81 »

Hello,

the default wikipedia search is in my case Swiss Wiki, since I live there. But most of my books are either italian or english so I was wondering if is possible:

1. change the regional settings of wikipedia search to EN wiki
2. add a second wikipedia search (IT wiki)

I tried to look for something similar but I was not able to do so. Thanks for the help.
Conor
Top Dog

Re: Bookpedia - Change Wikipedia settings

Post by Conor »

The country and language settings for Wikipedia are tied to your computer settings. You could change your primary preferred language under "System Preferences" -> "Language & Region" and relaunch Bookpedia and this would then update the Wikipedia search to be in that new language.

I have updated the beta version of Bookpedia to take into account set user preferences via the Terminal program. You would launch /Application/Utilities/Terminal and copy paste the two following lines and hit return to change the language to english.

Code: Select all

defaults write com.bruji.bookpedia "Wikipedia Language Code" "en"
defaults write com.bruji.bookpedia "Wikipedia Country Code" "US"

For Italian it would be:

Code: Select all

defaults write com.bruji.bookpedia "Wikipedia Language Code" "it"
defaults write com.bruji.bookpedia "Wikipedia Country Code" "IT"

The changes require a restart in Bookpedia to take effect in the Wikipedia plugin.

Having two searches is a bit more complex. You would need to build a brand new second search plugin with a new name. I can provide you the existing code for the Wikipedia version, but you would need to have Xcode installed and be pretty familiar with it to build a new version to then extend Bookpedia with. Hopefully you will be able to find the English and Italian books on the other country specific sites so that you don't have to do all that work.
birdack81
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by birdack81 »

Thanks Connor for the very quick answer.

I think the best solution at the moment would be to change the setting via Terminal for the "updating session" in whatever language I use at the moment. I'm not familiar enough to XCode to develop a new search plugin myself but since I will have to change the order of the plugins for the italian or english search sessions it is a little effort to use the terminal and switch wikipedia as well.

Thank you very very much for this quick solution. And for all the effort you and Nora put into a fantastic support of such good programs.

Cheers.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Glad to be able to help.
I will have to change the order of the plugins for the italian or english search sessions
You can also select a specific plugin by clicking the magnifying glass in the search field, this way limiting the search only to English or Italian site.
birdack81
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by birdack81 »

Conor wrote:Glad to be able to help.
I will have to change the order of the plugins for the italian or english search sessions
You can also select a specific plugin by clicking the magnifying glass in the search field, this way limiting the search only to English or Italian site.
Sure, I know that. I'm an avid DVDPedia user since 2009, so the Pedias are not completely novel to me ;)

Thanks again