Bookpedia - not finding in search engines

Report your bugs here - if someone else has already mentioned the same bug, just add on to their post with as much info as possible to make the hunting easier.
tizart
Contributor
Contributor

Bookpedia - not finding in search engines

Post by tizart »

How do I know what search engines my Bookpedia is searching? I have been trying to add a paperback collection searching by ISBN number and so far 10 of my books have come back as "no matches", which I find impossible. Hope you can help. Thank you
Conor
Top Dog

Re: Bookpedia - not finding in search engines

Post by Conor »

You can see what search engines are on and what order they are currently in Bookpedia -> Preferences -> Sites (tab). Also in the search window under the magnifying glass the search could be limited to a single site, which is more likely the case if you are not getting any match. The title of the search window would reflect the search site selected.

If you still get no match for several ISBNs, let me know some of the ISBNs and I can try it here.
tizart
Contributor
Contributor

Post by tizart »

It's searching through all the sites but I am getting NO results for search either in ISBN, author, title.
Exa-mple here: David Baldacci, Simple Genius, 978-0-446-61873-1 (and I have input the ISBN both with and w/o spaces to no avail. Thanks for your help

I think there might be a bug in this whole thing
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

Using that ISBN I found the book on several different sites (Doghouse, Open Library, Google Books). Have you tried selecting just one specific site in the search field, for example Doghouse or Google Books, and then doing the search?
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

I can confirm the same. Do please check your Bookpedia -> Preferences -> Sites (tab), that the search sites are active, also that Bookpedia has internet access. Does a simple search for "Harry Potter" work? If the ISBN search keeps failing the console log would have more specific error messages about failure, do please send us those if available. You can access the console log via the application 'Console', located inside your Applications/Utilities. The newer messages are towards the end of the log.

Also worth trying (although it should not make a difference) is the beta version of Bookpedia. Currently in a mid-transition to El Capitan update, but should work without issue.
tizart
Contributor
Contributor

Post by tizart »

No matter what I try or how I access the search engines still get "no match" on anything, author, title or ISBN. Yes the sites are active, I am connected to the Net, etc.

Can I try and download again?
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Do please try a new download, as well as checking the console log mentioned above after a search. It might have more details of why the internet access is being blocked for Bookpedia.
tizart
Contributor
Contributor

Post by tizart »

Lots of error messages in Console, i.e.
  • Failed to send activation record to service.com/apple.
    Service exited with abnormal code:75
    Tried to register AuthRecord.
a lot of (com.apple.spindump) messages

Does this help at all find what's wrong. PS I'm running Bookpedia on OS X Yosemite on an Apple Laptop
tizart
Contributor
Contributor

Post by tizart »

Uninstalled and downloaded Bookpedia again. Running fine now. Thanks for all your help :D
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Thank you for letting us know. Glad that worked, as I have no idea what was going on there. :D
claramoralesf
Inductee
Inductee

Post by claramoralesf »

Same problem here. Running Bookpedia 5.4.2 with Yosemite 10.10.2 in a Macbook Pro 2011.

Search engines don't work anymore. I tried iSight, ISBN and potencial matches like "Harry Potter": nothing. Casa del Libro, Google Books, Wikipedia etc marked, but it doesn't work. Uninstalled and redownloaded, but nothing.

I checked Console, the error message is:
1/2/16 11:50:57,469 apsd[49]: Failed to evaluate trust: No error. (0), result=5; retrying with revocation checking optional
1/2/16 11:52:52,978 Bookpedia[552]: Error conneting to data service for casadellibro: Error Domain=NSURLErrorDomain Code=-1001 "Se ha agotado el tiempo de espera." UserInfo=0x7fe9a2f510f0 {NSUnderlyingError=0x7fe9a51689c0 "Se ha agotado el tiempo de espera.", NSErrorFailingURLStringKey=http://www.casadellibro.com/busqueda-li ... er&nivel=5, NSErrorFailingURLKey=http://www.casadellibro.com/busqueda-li ... er&nivel=5, NSLocalizedDescription=Se ha agotado el tiempo de espera.}

and it goes on with Wikipedia, etc...

Any ideas? It's driving me crazy! Thanks for your help.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Does sound like a firewall issue as it's timing out waiting for reply from the searches.