Desktop / Laptop / iPhone

Any trouble you encounter with the Pedias, here's the place to ask for help.
AFG034
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Desktop / Laptop / iPhone

Post by AFG034 »

I have the main DVDpedia program on my desktop, but I don't always want to turn it on to edit content and update my movie list. Can I download it onto my laptop and have it automatically sync with the program on my desktop and iphone?
Conor
Top Dog

Re: Desktop / Laptop / iPhone

Post by Conor »

You can place the data folder in a location that is accessible to both your computers. Most users use Dropbox for this that will keep the data in sync. The default location for your data folder is in ~/Library/Application Support/DVDpedia. You have to move this folder without DVDpedia running to the new location. Then launch DVDpedia while holding down the option key and select the "Database.dvdpd" file in the data folder in the new location to tell DVDpedia to load the file from this location. Then you will be able to use DVDpedia from both locations. Do quit DVDpedia when not in use as it does a lot of caching for speed, and won't see the new information if both are edited at the same time, although Dropbox will merge it if it can.

For the iPhone you still have to press the "sync" button on the iPhone to initiate the sync, but would be able to sync with either your Desktop or Laptop as they both point to the same data folder.
brighteyes86
Contributor
Contributor

Post by brighteyes86 »

I'm trying to do the same thing, but I don't really understand what I'm doing. There's also no DVDpedia folder in Application Support. Is it different because of Yosemite or am I looking in the wrong place?
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

It can be confusing as there are two "Library" folders. You need the one inside your home folder. To get to it reliable use this technique. Hold down option (alt) key and click no the "Go" menu in the Finder, select the "Library" command. This new window that pop-up will be the correct library folder that should have "DVDpedia" in the "Application Support" folder
brighteyes86
Contributor
Contributor

Post by brighteyes86 »

Thank you! Re-reading it, it makes all the sense in the world.

Now when I opt+open DVDpedia, and I choose the database, there's nothing in the dropbox folder to choose. Do you have any suggestions?

I'm beginning to think I'm technologically cursed.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Could be you have to wait for Dropbox to finish the copy, although in the Finder the files should appear with a little icon next to them saying they are being uploaded. Navigate to the folder you copied over to Dropbox in the Finder and you can also double click the "Database.dvdpd" file in the data folder. This will also tell DVDpedia to use that new location (i.e. you only need to do that once).
brighteyes86
Contributor
Contributor

Post by brighteyes86 »

I waited and waited. The transfer was obviously complete. I couldn't get DVDpedia to load the database.dvdpd from Dropbox. It's in there when I open a finder window, but when I opt+open DVDpedia, there's nothing in dropbox. Idk what I'm doing wrong. I just ended up importing the library, and I guess I'll have to re-import every time I add a title to my collection.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Since you can see the files as synced in the Finder, please try double clicking the "Database.dvdpd" file in the data folder on Dropbox. That will launch DVDpedia and tell it to use that file and folder as the data to load.

If it works, you only need to do it once as the next launch of DVDpedia should open the Dropbox folder. You can verify this under "DVDpedia -> Preferences" window that will display the path to the folder at the bottom of the General tab.