Pocketpedia crashes on startup

Report your bugs here - if someone else has already mentioned the same bug, just add on to their post with as much info as possible to make the hunting easier.
klausness
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Pocketpedia crashes on startup

Post by klausness »

On my iPad 2 (running iOS 7.1.2), the latest version of Pocketpedia crashes on startup. Any idea what might be going wrong or how to fix it?
Conor
Top Dog

Re: Pocketpedia crashes on startup

Post by Conor »

Thank you for the bug report. I have tracked it down to an incompatibility with the iOS 8 user activity that Spotlight now tracks, that causes a crash on iOS 7. If you email me your iTunes account email, I can include you in the beta testing to make sure that the fix was applied properly for the next release.
bedestef
Contributor
Contributor

Post by bedestef »

I also experienced crashes when trying to open any record from any list in Pocketpedia. This happened after having updated to the latest issue of Pocketpedia while I still was on my iPhone with iOS7. However, I considered it was time to update my iOS to 9 and the Pocketpedia application (very useful) is now working great again.

So, it seems that Pocketpedia 3.4 is NOT compatible with iOS7.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Thank you for verifying the it was an iOS 7 issue. As mentioned fixed the bug but Apple does not let me run iOS 9 compiled apps against the iOS 7 simulator, so I can't test the fix. Also it seems that to beta test, iOS 8 might be required for TestFlight. I shall include the fix in the next release for those users who have old devices and are unable to upgrade from iOS 7.
FineWine
Site Admin

Post by FineWine »

Yep it does crash on my poor old iPhone 4 iOS 7.1.2 (11D257). :(

Trouble is my poor old iPhone 4 still works and does all that I want it to do, yes it would be nice to have the latest and greatest but for the 'life of me' I can not see the point or justify the cost of an upgrade :|
FineWine
Site Admin

Post by FineWine »

Thanks Conor the latest update fixes the iOS 7 crash problem - all is good again :D
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Thank you for letting me know the fixed worked, as it was impossible to test with the Apple testing tools or iOS simulator.
FineWine
Site Admin

Post by FineWine »

Conor wrote:Thank you for letting me know the fixed worked, as it was impossible to test with the Apple testing tools or iOS simulator.
If you want I can do testing on my iPhone 4 iOS 7.1.2 (11D257) just send me the ipa file and will install them using the off line method via iTunes.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Thank you for the offer, but now that it's out all users of iOS 7 have reported success. The good news is that Apple is kind of right to not worry about iOS 7, it was but a handful of users out there still using 7. I always thought Apple was exaggerating their adoption numbers for iOS 8 and iOS 9, but maybe not after all. I wonder where all those older devices that can't even run iOS 9 go to die if nobody is using them as Apple suggests?
klausness
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by klausness »

A bit late, but I can confirm that the latest version also fixed the crash for me. I'm still using iOS 7 on my iPad 2, because performance of iOS 8 and 9 is supposed to be pretty bad on it. I guess I'm supposed to be tossing out my iPad 2 and replacing it with the latest and greatest, but I'm trying to hold out for a little while longer.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Thank you.

For what it's worth we have an iPad 2 with iOS 9 and it's usable. So does not quite brick it, but is slower than 7. We do use it mostly for gaming with our kids now.