Show Cover display corrupted

Report your bugs here - if someone else has already mentioned the same bug, just add on to their post with as much info as possible to make the hunting easier.
Gary
Contributor
Contributor

Show Cover display corrupted

Post by Gary »

Hello Fine Bruji Folks!

* Yosemite – OS X 10.10.5
* Bookpedia 5.4.1

I've just noticed a minor cover corruption in Bookpedia. (Also confirmed in CDpedia v5.3.1 and DVDpedia v5.4.0. I guess it's been lurking for a while and I've only just noticed it.)

Normally I'm using the app at almost full screen size on a 27" iMac. I've got "Show Cover" enabled at the bottom left, under the Library/Collections column. I use a Magic Trackpad and when I scroll the column, the cover image "tears", showing a tiny version of the cover overlaid on the main image below.

I temporarily pulled the main window smaller to make this demo. https://www.dropbox.com/s/zf4myo4m1xyjx ... d.mov?dl=0. Although I'm "flicking" the scroll action here, it also happens when scrolled slowly. It's not clear to me exactly what's triggering the corruption. It happens on most but not quite all of the collections which I tested.

NB I'll probably dump this video file once you've worked out what's going wrong.

Let me know if you need me to try to shed any further light on this if you can't easily replicate it.

Regards,
Gary
Waldbaer
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Re: Show Cover display corrupted

Post by Waldbaer »

I definitely know this image problem, but until now I did not know the trigger, so thanks for posting that. It's not that dramatic, because it's only a cosmetic problem that's gone as soon as you select another entry, but anyways it does not look as good as the rest. :)

I found out, that there is a similar problem when I open and close folders in the list: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/134 ... rt%202.mov

It seems to try to update the view but succeeds not really. There happens even more useless stuff in the area... the ghost cover and the other problems seem to have a connection in size to the folder being there in the list. Maybe there is a more or less easy fix for that, but if not (maybe it's some kind of an OS X graphics engine problem?), well, there might be more important things to do for you. :wink:

Thanks for taking a look at it!

PS: 10.10.5 with me, too; bug happens similarly in Book-, CD- and DVDpedia.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

This is crazy! How come nobody has shown me a video of this before. :) It does require all kinds of settings for the Pedia to go and draw that badly, for example I could only get it going if a smart collection is envolved.

The scroll view in OS X is trying to update a small portion of the image in the cover view. As if it had a transparency, but because the Pedias do their own image sizing, it ends up drawing the small tiny image.

I have no idea why OS X is calling for such a crazy bit of image update, but easier than figuring that out was simply fixing the bug in the Pedia's drawing code so it's not possible to update just a section of the cover. Now that drawing gets ignored.

Fixed in all the betas, do give them a try to find out if I missed a setting that will continue to trigger it, although it should now theoretically not be possible.

DVDpedia
Bookpedia
CDpedia
Gamepedia
Waldbaer
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by Waldbaer »

Seems, we have been lucky that this was easy. Thanks for the fast fix, works great! :)
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Your videos made it easy. The hardest thing is always reproducing the bug. With the videos I quickly kept changing my settings to match what I was seeing: adding folders, a smart collection, changing the size of the cover window and scrolling and tadada, reproduced in 5 minutes flat. Fix 2 minutes. :)
Gary
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Gary »

Hi Conor

That's good news that you were able to find - and fix - the problem quickly! :D

I took the betas for a quick test drive and can confirm that the problem does indeed seem to be fixed. Thank you.