Bookpedia: corrupted file

Report your bugs here - if someone else has already mentioned the same bug, just add on to their post with as much info as possible to make the hunting easier.
ladzap

Bookpedia: corrupted file

Post by ladzap »

My computer shut off (battery down) while I was adding entries under bookpedia, and now I restarted it, I can't access Bookpedia anymore.
The settings are in French so I'll try to translate:
"Cannot open the file as its format is not correct
The file seems to be corrupted, incomplete or in an unexpected format"

(French version: Impossible d'ouvrir le fichier car son format n'est pas correct. Le fichier semble endommagé, incomplet ou dans un format inattendu).

If I click on OK, Bookpedia simply shuts off, so I don't know how to solve the issue.

I'm still using DVDpedia and CDpedia, they are working perfectly.

Could anyone help, please ?

Thanks a lot!
Conor
Top Dog

Re: Bookpedia: corrupted file

Post by Conor »

Thanks for the details. What you need to do is restore the "database.bookpd" file in your data folder without Bookpedia running.

To open the data folder click on the "Go" menu in the finder while holding down the option key, then select "Library". Navigate to "Application Support/Bookpedia". In this folder you will find the "database.bookpd" file that needs to be restored. If using TimeMachine you can enter the TimeMachine and restore to the nearest hourly copy before the shutdown. If using other backup systems, copying a version of the file to that same location will do the restore.
ladzap

Post by ladzap »

Thanks for the info!
My last complete backup was not so recent, so while checking the "Application Support/Bookpedia", I found a "backup1Month.bookpd" file. I copied it and renamed it "database.bookpd" in the same folder to replace the corrupted file.
I lost the data entered during the past month, but I don't think I lost too many entries.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Glad you were able to do that. We do create that automatic backup file just in case, but have never really used it. Glad to hear it was finally useful for a user. On average that file would be 15 days old, so could be that you only lost a few days. If you are missing a lot of changes, do send me the old broken file and I can look at it here, see if it's recoverable.
MagaliAFMM
Inductee
Inductee

Post by MagaliAFMM »

Hello,

My MacBookPro crashed and Bookpedia appeared totally empty.
I tried to follow your suggestions in this thread.
My file Database.bookpd in the Application Support/Bookpedia is empty. 102 kb

I can still see covers and autofill with datas in the Application Support/Bookpedia, but can't import that.

I found a earlier version of Database.bookpd (627 kb) which should be the right back up.
But when I try to open it, I get the message:
The file couldn’t be opened because it isn’t in the correct format.
The file might be corrupted, truncated, or in an unexpected format.

It is a 3 weeks collection, working intensively everyday...

Is there anyway you could have a look at my "corrupted" file ?

Thank you
FineWine
Site Admin

Post by FineWine »

So you do not have a TimeMachine or any sort of backup where you can search to find "database.bookpd" and import that file???