Pocketpedia to ebook reader

Tell us about your wildest feature dreams. Or just harmless suggestions for improvement.
FineWine
Site Admin

Pocketpedia to ebook reader

Post by FineWine »

Is there some way you can code in the ability to tap on a book in Pocketpedia and it fires up in iBooks, Kindle etc already to read?

I ask this as Apples’ iBooks and Kindles’ reader are absolutely useless when it comes to the information that Bookpedia can gather about them. In fact iBooks is appalling; e.g. if the series and volume is not in the title then it is not displayed at all in the iOS app. So that this info is displayed in my iPad iBooks reader I have to edit the book title within macOS whilst in List display (not bookshelf display) and then resync to my iPad.

Cheers :D
Conor
Top Dog

Re: Pocketpedia to ebook reader

Post by Conor »

Quick question are the ebooks linked in Bookpedia? Does the file of the epub appear as a link in the links sections of Bookpedia?

If they are you should be able to launch them, by tapping the link in the details view. If you set "Open links externally" in the Bookpedia preferences, it should then launch in the preferred reader for that file.

You would be able to push the data from Bookpedia back to iBooks in an ideal world. Sadly iBooks is doing it's own thing. I have a bug radar open with Apple that I would like iBooks to support AppleScript. It would let me create a programming bridge to iBooks and better integrate info into Bookpedia and back to iBooks.
FineWine
Site Admin

Post by FineWine »

Conor wrote:Quick question are the ebooks linked in Bookpedia? Does the file of the epub appear as a link in the links sections of Bookpedia?
Yes
Conor wrote:If they are you should be able to launch them, by tapping the link in the details view. If you set "Open links externally" in the Bookpedia preferences, it should then launch in the preferred reader for that file.
I knew about this ability but I do not read my ebooks on my 27" desktop Mac.

What I would like is that from within iPad Pockpedia you be able to, say, tap on the book title in the right hand details pane and it automatically fires up your iPad iBooks reader in that ebook. Or you could even have a dedicated button, "Open in iBooks" or "Open in Kindle" for Kindle ebooks etc.
Conor wrote:You would be able to push the data from Bookpedia back to iBooks in an ideal world. Sadly iBooks is doing it's own thing. I have a bug radar open with Apple that I would like iBooks to support AppleScript. It would let me create a programming bridge to iBooks and better integrate info into Bookpedia and back to iBooks.
That would be awesome, as I have said the desktop iBooks app is useless at gathering and displaying meaningful information and this all then permeates across to the iOS iBooks reader - 'garbage in, garbage out'.

Cheers
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

What I would like is that from within iPad Pockpedia
Aha, of course. I see now the dilemma. I know there is a itms-ibooks:// protocol scheme to iBooks on iOS. But it only allows for the passing of full iTunes links from the iBook store. And then it opens the store to buy that book. There is no way to target a specific book in your library, not even by id, let alone title. I shall do some online research to see if someone has cracked that, but doubtful how segregated everything is on iOS.