Updating Sync with Pocketpedia TV

Any trouble you encounter with the Pedias, here's the place to ask for help.
pbGuy
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Updating Sync with Pocketpedia TV

Post by pbGuy »

After completing the initial sync between DVDpedia and Pocketpedia TV, how does one complete a subsequent sync to Pocketpedia TV when DVDpedia has been changed?
Conor
Top Dog

Re: Updating Sync with Pocketpedia TV

Post by Conor »

Restart Pocketpedia TV or DVDpedia and a new sync will be done. The restart of Pocketpedia TV, was the one that was meant to resent, but one other user also mentioned that with constant changes it's hard to see the immediate changes as like iOS, sometimes Apple TV will send the program to the background and not actually restart it. So I'll look at a more explicit way in the next update.
pbGuy
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by pbGuy »

Just to make sure I'm clear...

With DVDpedia open and active on my Mac, I restart (open) Pocketpedia TV on ATV4 and a sync auto takes place.

...Just completed a test. Auto sync works as described above. 8) ...I like Pocketpedia TV. Nice work by all at Bruji.
FineWine
Site Admin

Post by FineWine »

conor would not a 'sync button' in PTV suffice?
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

A sync button could be, but we figured that Pocketpedia TV would not running all the time, so a sync on launch would keep it actualized. Specially since the sync is really fast and done in the background. make it slightly more magically. Also necessary as the Apple tvOS reserves the right to dump all data for any program. So if you watch some big movies, the Apple tvOS might delete all the data and the sync has to happen again. As long as a Pedia is reachable, Pocketpedia TV will make sure to go and get the data right away. It's DVDpedia that saves the "allow" preference, so luckily you should not need to authorize a second sync, even if all the data is deleted, it should appear quickly on the TV.
FineWine
Site Admin

Post by FineWine »

Thank you conor for the detailed explaination. Typical of Apple to be more controlling but this is what makes their products more secure than the rest of the market.

I like the "magical" way :D

Cheers
pbGuy
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by pbGuy »

Conor wrote:...so a sync on launch would keep [Pocketpedia TV] actualized. ...
A follow-up to my prior post... Initially when I did an update to DVDpedia, Pocketpedia TV auto-updated upon next Open. However, I did another revision edit to the movie I'd previously added to DVDpedia; and upon reopening PTV (with DVDpedia active on my Mac) after these revisions were completed, the edits were not synced even though I closed and re-opended PTV several times.

My only option was to delete PTV from ATV4, reload PTV and allow an initial sync which then, picked up all the revised edits.

Was I doing something wrong?
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

The next version shall be out in a few days and it will update better, as right now it does not update if the PTV is kept in the background. Which AppleTV can be very good about, since it only quits apps when it needs the memory. It was not re-sync when coming into the foreground; It should have from the beginning as to the users it looks like the PTV has quit, when yo uno back to the main AppleTV menu.