Filter search by custom fields

Tell us about your wildest feature dreams. Or just harmless suggestions for improvement.
garynunes
Captain
Captain

Filter search by custom fields

Post by garynunes »

This may not be a feature request as I just might not know how to do it.

I'd like to filter my searches (upper right Search field) to just a custom field. Currently the magnifying glass menu allows "All Fields", "Columns Shown" plus a list of fields that don't include my custom fields ("In Amazon Queue" [aka Custom 2], "In Netflix Queue" [aka Custom 1], both of which are columns shown on the display). FYI, the custom fields do get searched when "Columns Shown" is selected.

Is there a way to do this? If not … Feature Request.

Regards,
Gary Nunes

P.S.
Now that I think about it, it wouldn't be bad if you could check more than one item in the filter list (e.g., both "Title" and "Genre"). Now that is a Feature Request.
Conor
Top Dog

Re: Filter search by custom fields

Post by Conor »

Thank you for the feature requests. Both would be feature requests. The first one we have thought about before as it would be useful, but hard to implement without the list under the magnifying glass growing unwieldy with all the fields listed. The second one, it's the first time we have even heard it, so will have to write it down to explore.

Do keep in mind that if you are often searching by your custom fields: "In Amazon Queue" or "In Netflix Queue" a smart collection is quite useful. Do "In Netflix Queue is not [leave empty]". Then you always have this specific search a click away (or two if you hide this type of collection inside a specific search collections folder).
garynunes
Captain
Captain

Post by garynunes »

Thanks for the response. I will try the Smart Collection tip.

Regards,
Gary Nunes
garynunes
Captain
Captain

Post by garynunes »

OK, the Smart Collection tip didn't work (but maybe I'm doing it wrong). Details:

I actually have two (not including Borrowed and Wish List) Collections:
- the standard Library Collection that contains all the DVDs I actually own
- an "Of Interest" Collection that contains movies/discs I'm interested in (but not necessarily to own)

The Library Collection doesn't display the "In Amazon Queue" or "In Netflix Queue" fields as I don't consider them relevant for owned discs.

The "Of Interest" Collection is not included in the Library collection (I don't want to clutter it up). Note that I consider "Of Interest" to be slightly different from "Wish List" (one of the reasons it contains fields indicating whether something is streamable).

When I create a new Smart Collection as you described above (either with the Amazon or Netflix fields) the resultant Collection is empty (even though some records contain Amazon or Netflix fields with content, i.e., "yes").

Perhaps this is because Smart Collections only work with the Library Collection (or Library included Collections)?

Or what?

Regards,
Gary Nunes
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

You nailed the issue exactly, by default the excluded collections are not part of smart collections. Working only off your main library. You can change this win the preference "DVDpedia -> Preference" menu. Fourth option down "Include library independent entries in smart collections".

If you then need to target only your library for other smart collections, there is a smart collection rule that is "Collection name is ..." so that you can say you want only entries that are already part of a specific collection.
garynunes
Captain
Captain

Post by garynunes »

I appreciate the information. It worked.

Thanks,
Gary Nues