Pocketpedia Not Searching

Report your bugs here - if someone else has already mentioned the same bug, just add on to their post with as much info as possible to make the hunting easier.
dbennett

Pocketpedia Not Searching

Post by dbennett »

Pocketpedia on an iPhone 7+. Latest auto update of app and iOS.

I had these results with several books.

Enter title, select search, "No items found".
Enter ISBN, select search, "No items found".

I go to my desktop. Latest autoupdate of Bookpedia and macOS.

Enter same titles as I'd entered on iPhone, the item is found.
Enter same ISBNs as I'd entered on iPhone, the item is found.
Conor
Top Dog

Re: Pocketpedia Not Searching

Post by Conor »

Thank you for the info. Could you send me a few of the search terms so I can try with the same ones, thank you.

Bookpedia does have access to a much larger set of databases, but with title searches you should be finding almost anything on the iPhone.
dbennett

Post by dbennett »

Rough Carpentry Illustrated, on back cover ISBN 0-8306-7435-7
Finish Carpentry Illustrated, on back cover ISBN 0-830609434-X

When searching with Bookpedia, a different, extended ISBN is displayed for these books. Even typing that ISBN in on the iOS device does not find anything.

On newer books with an ISBN barcode, I can successfully scan with the iOS device to add a book. However, if I type in the successfully scanned barcode on an iOS device, it cannot be found.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Thank you so much for the detailed info. Interesting that typing it out gives different results, I shall look into it.
dbennett

Post by dbennett »

Thank you.
dbennett

Post by dbennett »

Conor wrote:Thank you so much for the detailed info. Interesting that typing it out gives different results, I shall look into it.
Did you ever discover anything about this? I will say, things have deteriorated. I can no longer perform any search whatsoever, either on iOS devices or macOS. No results are ever found for any book title nor any ISBN. This happens whenever I search externally to add a new book or internally to find an existing book.

We add ~100 books a month to out library and this problem is crippling our use of this software.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

I have actually not been able to repeat any of it.

For the internal search do make sure that there is no scope (filter) set for the search. You can find this out by clicking on the magnifying glass and making sure it's set to All or Column Shown.

For searches for adding a new book, do make sure that Amazon Test is on, you can hold down option key and click on the "Help" menu in Bookpedia and if "Amazon Test" does not have a checkbox mark next to it, then select it. If you are still failing to find books with the searches, let me know the search terms and the top 3 sites that you use, in your Bookpedia -> Preferences (under sites, were you can rearrange via drag and drop).

Concentrating on the MacOS as that is the easier one to debug and the main database, we can then try to debug what might be going on with Pocketpedia once we figure out the MacOS version.