iPhone X Update For Pocketpedia?

Tell us about your wildest feature dreams. Or just harmless suggestions for improvement.
Richard
Captain
Captain

iPhone X Update For Pocketpedia?

Post by Richard »

Any timeframe on when Pocketpedia will be updated for the new screen resolution?

I also have a question about IMDB inside of Pocketpedia. Is there a way to paste in the IMDb number and then pull the information into the mobile app? (btw there is no option to paste info when you tap on the field) The problem I am having is that I like to add my movies while I am away from my computer especially when I am buying digital copy’s. I rely on IMDB for all of my info on movies and then just add in all the formats I own.
FineWine
Site Admin

Re: iPhone X Update For Pocketpedia?

Post by FineWine »

Richard wrote:Is there a way to paste in the IMDb number and then pull the information into the mobile app?
In Safari goto IMDb site and find the movie you are after. Then if you tap on the url (address) bar that will reveal the entire url address. In the middle of that address look for a number beginning in tt, that is the IMDb number. Tap and do a long press on that number, tap on 'Select' and move the blue bars to highlight just the number without the tt, now tap on Copy. Open up Pocketpedia and open up the Add Movie box and select Add Movie. This will open up Doghouse search, now do a long press on the search box and the Paste facility will appear, once the number is in the box, tap the blue search box on the keyboard. If the movie is in the Doghouse data base it will appear in a list, select your desired copy of the movie. If you are now happy with the results tap the + (plus) symbol top right and the movie will be added to your pedia data base.
(btw there is no option to paste info when you tap on the field)

As just explained if you do a long press (or double tap) on any data in most app's in iOS it will bring up the black box with all the select, copy & paste facilities and these are system wide. i.e. you can copy data from one app and paste into another.
The problem I am having is that I like to add my movies while I am away from my computer especially when I am buying digital copy’s. I rely on IMDB for all of my info on movies and then just add in all the formats I own.
Unfortunately I believe, and I could be wrong here, but Pocketpedia only pulls data from Doghouse. It would be great if it could pull data from IMDb or Amazon but I think this could have something to do with the API licenses on mobile devices from these companies. Hence one of the reasons for Doghouse in the first place.

Though, as seen above, using the IMDb or Amazon ASIN number will pull info in from Doghouse if Doghouse has that number, otherwise use the movie title as your search criteria. Careful using the Amazon ASIN as Amazon has different numbers for each format, DVD, Blue-ray, VHS, streaming and people are getting these mixed up when they contribute to Doghouse.

Conor will have a more accurate answers. Hope these answers help in the mean time.
Richard
Captain
Captain

Post by Richard »

Ok paste is working agin this morning which for some reason last night it would not work in the app. I had tried multiple times. If it does it again I will make sure I do a screen recording of it.

As far as using the IMDb number to search Doghouse I have no interest in that. Searching for the movie that way pulled up 12 listings with some having different covers and some for DVD or in the PAL format. It’s extra work to pull that info in, sync back to DVDpedia later, delete the cover and any other info it pulled that doesn’t apply and then update from IMDB to pull the correct into.

The function I am asking for is the same as what it does in DVDpedia. There I manually add a title and paste the IMDb number in. Then I say update from IMDb where it pulls the title, cover, director, actors and all the basic info. Then I manually add if I have it on Blu-ray, DVD, iTunes or Ultraviolet, 3D. Whatever. I have so many different versions of the same movies now I don’t want links to each specific product. I just want to know if I own it and where I can find a copy in my house.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

IMDb has no official API, so it's impossible to add to Pocketpedia directly. As mention there is access from what Doghouse has, but it does list all the different movies formats for that one film.

You can in Pocketpedia, add manually and add only the IMDb number to the entry. Then leave the data to sync to DVDpedia, before using the gear button (bottom right of the edit window) to select IMDb and pull the data based of the number. If you are on the go and don't know the number, as it more likely the case, you can type the title and afterwards in DVDpedia also use the gear button to make a match to IMDb.

I've been spending my time on the desktop pedias, I have to get around to updating the assets for iPhone X, thank you for reminding me.
toddcwallace
Inductee
Inductee

Post by toddcwallace »

PLEASE, PLEASE, oh pretty please... update for iPhone X!!!!

Juts bought a bunch of your apps. Dude, I spent my entire Christmas break looking for the best app. There are a ton out there... and nothing functions like your apps. Great job!

Now... iPhone X!

(Thank you!!!!)
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

I have to get on the iPhone X update right away. I clearly underestimated the number of people that would get one come the 25th of December, the spike on iPhone X update has increased ten fold since then.
Richard
Captain
Captain

Post by Richard »

Conor wrote:I have to get on the iPhone X update right away. I clearly underestimated the number of people that would get one come the 25th of December, the spike on iPhone X update has increased ten fold since then.
It's good hear that you are actively working on it now. I look forward to the update.
Richard
Captain
Captain

Post by Richard »

Any news on when an update might be coming out?
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Missing about 20% of the assets to finish updating and one bug to get done. I'll update in a week, as I get closer.
Richard
Captain
Captain

Post by Richard »

Conor wrote:Missing about 20% of the assets to finish updating and one bug to get done. I'll update in a week, as I get closer.
Thanks for the update.
Richard
Captain
Captain

Post by Richard »

Getting any closer?
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Sorry Richard, I was actually thinking of you last week. How I've had the iPhone X update half-finished for weeks now. :oops: Keep getting side tracked by work and mostly personal matters of large nature: a death, weddings and one baptism. I'll make a hard promise to have it ready before iPhone XI. :shock: :D
Richard
Captain
Captain

Post by Richard »

Hopefully it won't take that long. But I appreciate you still working towards it. It is one of my favorite apps.
Richard
Captain
Captain

Post by Richard »

Conor wrote:Sorry Richard, I was actually thinking of you last week. How I've had the iPhone X update half-finished for weeks now. :oops: Keep getting side tracked by work and mostly personal matters of large nature: a death, weddings and one baptism. I'll make a hard promise to have it ready before iPhone XI. :shock: :D
Um... :)
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Richard wrote:
Conor wrote: iPhone XI. :shock: :D
Um... :)
Everybody keep calm, we are at XS and XR, not yet at XI. :D :lol: