PocketPedia sync does not work

Any trouble you encounter with the Pedias, here's the place to ask for help.
snevyazh
Inductee
Inductee

PocketPedia sync does not work

Post by snevyazh »

Hello,
I have CDPedia running on My Mac with Os Sierra, the database is around 130 disks and backup file would be around 10Mb.
Now I've got PocketPedia on my Ipad and tried to sync the DB, but nothing happens - I'm seeing "Requesting collections" for ever.
I assume even for the first sync it should be around 5 min, but in my case it stays for hours.
Same WiFi network, of course.
Tried on an iphone with same result.
Probably I do smth wrong?
With sync not working I'm losing at least half of the functionality, as the whole idea is to see what's in my collection in the shop.
Conor
Top Dog

Re: PocketPedia sync does not work

Post by Conor »

When that message comes up it means that the request for data from Pocketpedia gets blocked by something on the network. Do start by restarting both the Mac and the iPhone.

If that fails could you do a few more steps for us, to try to get to the root of the issue.

1. Try a dedicated network, this will let us know if ti's your home setup blocking the connection.

On your Mac on the main menu bar in the WiFi menu, click on it and use the "Create Network..." option. After entering the details in the window that shows up, you go to your iOS Settings program and connect to the new WiFi from your Mac and then try the sync. both devices will be cut off from the internet but if you are able to sync CDpedia this way, then we can look at the router as blocking the reply and try restarting that.

2. If that fails, could you have a look at your console log, see if there are any messages from CDpedia? You can access the console log via the application 'Console', located inside your Applications/Utilities. The newer messages are towards the end of the log. This way we can figure out what the issue might be.

So you can get your data on the go right away while we debug, there is a backup option, never used much. Hold down the option key and click on the CDpedia "Help" menu there will be an option for "Export to Pocketpedia". Select that option and save the file to your desktop. Then connect your iPad via USB to your Mac and in iTunes under the iPad go to "Apps -> File Sharing -> Pocketpedia" and drag the created file over to the file area there in iTunes. iTunes will sync the file over and then launch Pocketpedia and it will import the file. This option is one way, it will overwrite any information in Pocketpedia, unlike our regular sync that does a merge of any changes you had done in Pocketpedia. So do keep that in mind should have to use this sync.

Do let me know how it goes.
ssipos
Inductee
Inductee

Post by ssipos »

I am having the same problem. Sometimes I get a message that "Pedia Not Found", and sometimes Requesting Collections comes up and stays forever.

I tried the suggestion that I use a new, non-internet network and the same things happened.

The problem seems to have been discussed outside of the Forum, so do not know what the final solution was, if any.

Any further news or ideas?
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

If the dedicated network does not work, then do try restarting all the devices including the iPhone. If that does not solve it, let me know and we can look at the logs.

So you can get your data over there is a backup option, never used much. Hold down the option key and click on the DVDpedia "Help" menu there will be an option for "Export to Pocketpedia". Select that option and save the file to your desktop. Then connect your iPhone/iPad via USB to your Mac and in iTunes under the device go to "Apps -> File Sharing -> Pocketpedia" and drag the created file over to the file area there in iTunes. iTunes will sync the file over. Once that is done launch Pocketpedia and it will import the file. This option is one way, it will overwrite any information in Pocketpedia, unlike our regular sync that does a merge of any changes you had done in Pocketpedia. So do keep that in mind should have to use this sync more than once, to only update on the Mac.