Bwana Is Not 64-Bit

Report your bugs here - if someone else has already mentioned the same bug, just add on to their post with as much info as possible to make the hunting easier.
machale
Contributor
Contributor

Bwana Is Not 64-Bit

Post by machale »

I realize Bwana is a free product and is getting older, but it still works great

You likely know this already but I don't see it mentioned in your forums, so just to be sure... I thought you should know Bwana may stop working in a future MacOS release since it's not 64-bit. If it's a simple recompile/rebuild to make it 64-bit, it may be worth doing so. If not, I will miss Bwana when it stops working, but thanks so much for a slick little tool for all these years!
Conor
Top Dog

Re: Bwana Is Not 64-Bit

Post by Conor »

Thank you for the kind words about Bwana. You must have an older version of Bwana, it's been 64-bit for years now. Both versions should be part of the program. Do try a new install if your version is not 64-bit. I been meaning to modernize Bwana, even re-write it in Swift for practice. But works so well I haven't touched it in ages.
machale
Contributor
Contributor

Post by machale »

Sorry for not replying sooner...

This MacBook Pro was new in late December 2017, and I installed Bwana on it January 1, 2018. I've tried it installed both in Applications and in Applications/Utilities.

System Information report says it's not 64-bit. And from the command line:

Code: Select all

$ mdls /Applications/Bwana.app
<SNIP>
kMDItemExecutableArchitectures     = (
    i386,
    ppc
)
<SNIP>
Just to compare, Get Info in the Finder for Bwana says:

Size: 222,783 bytes
Created: Friday, October 16, 2009 at 8:09 PM
Modified: Friday, October 16, 2009 at 8:30 PM
Version: Bwana version 2.7

And a fresh download of bwana from https://bruji.com/bwana/bwana.dmg shows the same info.

Is it possible the version available for download on your site is not your latest? Maybe you've done 64-bit builds and just not posted them? 2009 is a long time ago.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

:shock: Could it be I have been so selfish as to have updated Bwana for myself and never released the official update. :oops:

Bwana 2.8 is out now, with 64 bit support.

One year and 16 days short of not touching Bwana for 10 years, now that is a solid little application. :) Hopefully when I get home time I do want to give it some attention and change a few things, mainly about the distribution and source control for sharing (hello Github). But won't be anytime soon with the Pedia work pile up.
machale
Contributor
Contributor

Post by machale »

Hmm. Your main Bwana web page, and your release notes page, are both updated.

But the actual download link does not appear to be updated. When I download it, I get a .dmg file that is identical to the 2.7 version, as comfirmed via cmp at the command line. And when I mount bwana.dmg, the mounted volume is entitled Bwana 2.7, rather than 2.8 as I'd expect.

I tried the download in two different browsers.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Thank you. I think I have found the issue, I had updated but the upload had never worked for the .dmg. Transmit 5 been giving me a lot of issues with it's Automator. Used Transmit 4 again and things are fixed. new download should do the trick.
machale
Contributor
Contributor

Post by machale »

2.8! And 64-bit! All good!

Code: Select all

$ mdls /Applications/Utilities/Bwana.app
<SNIP>
kMDItemExecutableArchitectures     = (
    i386,
    "x86_64"
)
<SNIP>
$
Just an FYI, I encountered the MacOS Gatekeeper. After dropping Bwana.app in /Applications/Utilities the first thing I did was try man:ps in my browser, which yielded this system alert:
To get past this, I right-clicked on /Applications/Utilities/Bwana.app and chose Open, which gave me this dialog:
In that dialog I clicked Open and then Bwana opened stand-alone. I quit it and then man:ps in my browser worked just fine.

So if/when you work on Bwana in the future, you may want to make use of some of this info in the ReadMe. Maybe reference https://support.apple.com/kb/PH25088

So at this point, everything looks good to me. Thanks again for Bwana!
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Thank you for letting me know I forgot to add the new code signing requirements. Since I have a Developer ID I have gone ahead and signed Bwana. So that now it should only give the warning about being downloaded from the internet and allow you to open it.
machale
Contributor
Contributor

Post by machale »

Confirmed, just this single dialog now:
Click Open and you're good to go.

If you're tracking this thread as a bug, I consider it closed now.

Thanks!
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Thank you.