5.6.1 does not sync with IOS app

Report your bugs here - if someone else has already mentioned the same bug, just add on to their post with as much info as possible to make the hunting easier.
stratocaster96

5.6.1 does not sync with IOS app

Post by stratocaster96 »

please see the subject.
in the iphone and/or ipad appear a message saying to start the app on the Mac (note that all the devices are connected in the same network)
Regards,
Alex
Conor
Top Dog

Re: 5.6.1 does not sync with IOS app

Post by Conor »

Do restart all devices and make sure there no firewall settings that might be stopping the bonjour message getting across, so that they can find each other.

If that does not solve it, do try a dedicated network from under the wireless menu one your computer. Select "Create Network" and then connect the iPhone to that network and try the sync. This will let us discard the issue being on the computer/program or with the network setup.

Thank you,
Conor
stratocaster96

Post by stratocaster96 »

Believe me or not... i didn't understand a single word of what you said
Can you please explain it with more details?

The troubles started when I updated my Mac with the new 5.6.1 version, with the old version was working fine

EDIT: I also tried to install the beta version but still is the same problem
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

I don't think it was the update, but something that changed on your network setup. If you would like to try the older version you can find it here:

http://bruji.com/dvdpedia/dvdpedia5.6.dmg

On your Mac on the main menu bar in the WiFi menu, click on it and use the "Create Network..." option. After entering the details in the window that shows up giving the network a name. Then go to your iOS "Settings" program and connect to the new WiFi from your Mac (the name given in the above step) and then try the sync. Both devices will be cut off from the internet but if you are able to sync DVDpedia this way, then we can look at network issues.
randian
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by randian »

The problem here is more likely an iOS bug, though I suppose it could be a Pocketpedia bug. What's appears to be happening is if your iOS device disconnects from a WiFi network because you left its range and automatically reconnects later (such as, for example, if you left for work in the morning and returned in the evening) Pocketpedia can't recognize Mac Pedia (any of them) even though other iOS applications like Mail or Safari appear to work correctly on the network. The solution is to disable and reenable WiFi on your iOS device. If Pocketpedia is hung on its "can't find a Pedia" popup it will automatically start syncing when you switch back to it. Note that killing and restarting Pocketpedia won't solve the problem, you'll still get the "can't find a Pedia" popup.

This failure mode is not 100% reproducible, sometimes sync works as expected. I frequently encounter this bug, so if you're actually trying to make it fail it should do so fairly quickly.
KiwiJen
Contributor
Contributor

Post by KiwiJen »

I too am having the same problem after updating Bookpedia on my mac to 5.6.1.
I had no trouble syncing all my ios devices before 5.6.1.
You gave the url for returning to dvdpedia 5.6, can you give me the url for Bookpedia 5.6 please.

I have tried restarting the ios devices, restarting my mac, no sync. They are always on the same network.

I love Bookpedia and being able to sync to our ios devices is crucial to ensure we don't buy the same book twice, which happened last week unfortunately.

Thanks,
Jeanette (NZ)
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

You can append the version number to download the older version. (Bookpedia 5.6)

But if you are on Mac OS 10.12, 10.13 or 10.14 please give the beta version a try instead.
KiwiJen
Contributor
Contributor

Post by KiwiJen »

Thanks for your reply Connor. I have installed your beta version but still get "Please launch the Pedia program on your Mac".
I reinstalled 5.6 and still get the same message.

Doesn't look like an issue with Bookpedia. I have version Pocketpedia v 3.5. could there be a problem with that?

We have 6 ios devices, all on v 3.5, and none will sync with Bookpedia on my Mac.

We are all on the same network, there is only one here in the resort we are staying at in Virginia.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts.
Jeanette
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Hi Jeanette,

Thank you for the extra information. Could be that the resort blocks the reply from Bookpedia as a security measure from guests finding each other's computers. Do try the dedicated network, as it would cut out the resort's network. I know its not ideal for syncing but would let us know if that is the case.

On your Mac on the main menu bar in the WiFi menu, click on it and use the "Create Network..." option. After entering the details in the window that shows up giving the network a name. Then go to your iOS "Settings" program and connect to the new WiFi from your Mac (the name given in the above step) and then try the sync. Both devices will be cut off from the internet but if you are able to sync Bookpedia this way, then we know what to try to improve for the next version of Bookpedia.
KiwiJen
Contributor
Contributor

Post by KiwiJen »

Hi Connor, All working fine now that we are home again. Must have been a block on the network as you suggested.
Thanks,
Jeanette
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Great news. Thank you for updating me.