Amazon search

Any trouble you encounter with the Pedias, here's the place to ask for help.
warhol
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Amazon search

Post by warhol »

My Amazon search keys for DVD, Book and CD seem to have stopped working and I'm unable to get new ones following the instructions at https://www.bruji.com/help/bookpedia/ad ... tml#amazon

It seems the Amazon interfaces have become a lot more complicated. Looking at the AWS console / IAM / Amazon Affiliates, I don't have a clue what I'm supposed to be doing.

Would it be possible for someone to post or direct me to up to date details on how to get an Access Key, Secret Key and Associate ID for use with the three pedias ?

Thanks very much !
Conor
Top Dog

Re: Amazon search

Post by Conor »

Hi,

Please try the beta version that you can download from the following links:

Bookpedia
CDpedia
DVDpedia

Then hold down the option key and click on the main Help menu in each program once and select "Amazon Test" so that a check mark appears. You should then have access to Amazon search.
warhol
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by warhol »

Thanks very much Conor. Normal service seems to have been resumed ...
Ricki
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by Ricki »

Hi,
I also have issues with the Amazon search. I have an Access Key and a Secret key from AWS and an Associate-ID. I am using V5.6.1 and get "Your AccessKey Id is not registered for Product Advertising API. Please use the AccessKey Id obtained" What am I doing wrong?
Ricki
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by Ricki »

I missed the Option Key trick. Now I have access to Amazon. But is this permanent?
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

The "Amazon Test" is permanent and should work for the future. Amazon is getting stricter on all the requirements for their data API. Emails have to match now from the web service and the associate account. You have to register your associate account as belonging to a specific web services, which is just silly as the email have to match now anyway, so it's obviously you. Amazon just trying to push users away, except the big associate accounts creating web only links.

Do please send me the ASIN number that is not working so I can try it out. As the ASIN search should still be working.
Ricki
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by Ricki »

Conor wrote: Do please send me the ASIN number that is not working so I can try it out. As the ASIN search should still be working.
Is this meant for me? Actually, my wife types in the author name and the book title. Sometimes the result is sparse with respect to content description and cover images. With Amazon search working, the results are much more detailed. We do not use ASIN for search. Please let me know if you need more information. And thank you for your excellent support.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Thanks for the explanation. In the new version the search is limited to a single field by default, starting with title, this avoid to many results that are not relevant if doing an open keyword search. If your wife is used to searching for both the title and author to narrow down on the results, be sure to change the options in the Amazon search. To do this click on the magnifying glass where you would type the search and select "Amazon". When you are targeting a single site a row of options for that site appears at the bottom of the window. Here you would change the "Limit" option to "None". This way being able to search for "title + author".
Ricki
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by Ricki »

Thank you Conor for your reply. We will follow your advise :)
mklengel

Post by mklengel »

Hello,

the Option-Key Help trick doesn't work for me.
With the values based on bruji06-20 the following message occures:

Your AKIAJLEOPLOJAJAYBL6Q is not registered as an Amazon Associate. Please register as an associate at

Replacing the values with my own AWS credentials gives me the same result.

Whats going wrong?

Regards
Michael
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

The above has been fixed via email. It's an issue with the user credentials being for Germany, and the internal test is being done against the US API.
pjc
Contributor
Contributor

Post by pjc »

After beating my head against AWS for a bit, I discovered this thread and turned on the Amazon Test account, and now Amazon US is showing up as a search option again.

But for some reason searches by UPC aren't working. For example, 883929478613 returns no results in DVDpedia, but it is found searching on Amazon's web site. (I tried may UPC codes and none of them worked in DVDpedia, and all of them worked on Amazon's web site.)

Curiously, Amazon doesn't seem to be showing product UPCs any more on their web site either, which is annoying. Could that be related?
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Glad you found the thread and enabled that. Thank you for the info on the UPC search, I'll test it out and let you know.
DanThe
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by DanThe »

I have started experiencing the same thing in CDpedia using the Amazon Canada site. I can find these UPCs directly on Amazon Canada but get "no matches" when searching in CDpedia.

Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Thank you, I'll take a look and fix it on Monday.